Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The Hall wasn't anything fancy - just rows and rows of seats like in some sort of auditorium, with a stage at the centre front. As we marched inside, I glanced to my left at the stage on which both Elders of our respective Sectors stood, their faces grim. A deep sort of foreboding feeling settled in my stomach - odd since we did not feel. I shrugged it off, it was probably as a result of being called into The Hall unexpectedly.

As each of our Sectors made our way to our seats, both separated on either side of the room, I glanced back at The Elders again. There were four of them, two for each of our Sectors - a man and a woman. Elder Suki and Elder Evans belonged to The Force whereas Elders Shane and Helga were from The Intelligence. They also stood a little distance from each other on the stage - the hostility between our Sectors ran that deep.

As more and more people filed in, the sheer size of our community of Elites could truly be noted. Hushed whispers floated throughout The Hall whilst Nate and I sat mostly in silence. We spoke little but we had an understanding and we didn't want to associate too much with each other since our species like to take advantage of such things, specifically Derrick. He loves to exploit people and torture them using things they may desire most. As I stared at The Elders, I realised that the news they were about to give was more serious than I had initially thought.

Elder Suki cleared her throat and in an instance a hush fell across The Hall. You could almost hear the digital clock ticking away. Elder Suki usually started the speech whenever we had these meetings as she had the firmest voice but compared to the others, she was lenient but 'soft'. Her frame was built small but she stood tall. Elder Evans on the other hand, was a brute force and he occasionally would oversee our battle classes. He was a tall, broad man with deep green eyes and blonde hair combed neatly back as if each strand was carefully placed on his head.

Elder Shane was also tall like Elder Evans but he lacked the muscle and build like Elder Evans but his deep brown eyes held a spark of intelligence in them, of knowing more than us, always assessing situations with a frown, like he was doing now. Elder Helga was taller than Elder Suki but she was frankly, as the humans like to call it, a bitch. She held herself tall with arrogance and looked at the rest of us, including those in her sector, like she could squash us all beneath her feet, like insects, inferior to her.

"We have some things to share with you all," Elder Suki spoke up. The tension in the room was palpable as we all wondered what 'things' these may be, which was the reason for the call to The Hall, which was the reason for the bleak and grim look on their faces and I realised belatedly, their eyes all held anger in them.

Anger at what though?

"And you may not like it," Elder Helga spoke after Elder Suki in a harsh tone. I always wondered if they had some agreement on who would speak when. Like Elder Suki always spoke first, then an Elder from The Intelligence, depending on the matter to be discussed. Then our turn and finishing off the speech by an Elder from The Intelligence.

There was a pin-drop silence in the room as everyone waited with abated breath for the bad news to be delivered. What was it? Did we have to have more classes? Changes in the daily schedule? Another test of some sort? Maybe even associate with The Intelligence?

Elder Evans stepped forward. "But we will be ready and we have a plan."

Ready? Plan?

For what?

Elder Shane swept his gaze across The Hall as if taking us all in, as if trying to figure out how we may react or maybe he just wanted to look intimidating, which he did. Though he may not be looking at anyone in particular, when his gaze met yours for that split second, you felt exposed, as if he was reading you, figuring you out. But there was nothing to figure out, The Elites were a race made figured out, unlike the humans. They evolved, changed with days, seasons, situations. They were hard to figure out, they dressed differently according to days and seasons and they all reacted in different ways to the same situation. The Elites were a race made in order to eliminate this inconsistency, well, I'm sure that was at least part of the reason.

Elder Shane held out a remote and pressed a button and a sleek screen came down from the ceiling. They were going to show us something? We never really used the screen so it was a mystery as to what they were going to show us. Maybe it was a movie. Isn't that what the humans called it anyway? But then that would surely be associating with the humans? We all had a similar screen in our respective rooms, except smaller. It resembled a television from the human world but without the cable or channels or whatever. They were for announcement purposes though rarely used.

Pressing another button, Elder Shane walked back to his seat and then the room was shrouded in darkness. Everyone took a collective breath as the first image came up on the screen. The face had dark eyes, sunken cheeks, dry and chapped lips with dirt smudged on the face. It was a face of a human.

The image zoomed out to show another face similar to the first, until a mass of people were shown, all with deep sorrow in their eyes. That was until they let out a roar and charged forward. Weapons that were not the focus of the movie before, became glaringly obvious and knives and guns were shown. A shot rang out and everyone jumped. And then more shots, more noises, screams filled with pain, terror and some with glee. Red blood was everywhere, on their clothes, on the grounds in rivers and cries were heard. Then the screen shut off and it was dark for a moment before the lights came on.

I blinked rapidly to get used to the light that came on suddenly. Everyone held disgust in their eyes as to what they had witnessed. I felt a little sick. Elder Shane had his lips pursed as whispers broke out in The Hall. Then suddenly he held up a hand and once again, a hush fell across the entire room.

"We all know what we saw. It was the humans. At war with each other. We saw the destruction they are capable of. But that is not the point."

Not the point? Each of us wore confused looks.

"The point is if they are capable of such destruction and harming those of their own species, what are they capable of against another species, against us?" Elder Shane spoke vehemently. His hatred for the human race emphasised with each word that left his mouth.

"And that is what they're going to do. But we will be ready and have plan when they come for us."

Shouts of protest and others of rage rang out through The Hall from both Sectors.

"As of today," Elder Shane continued strongly over the noise and we all heard him clearly when he said, "We are at war with the humans."

AN: Please hit the vote button :)