Chapter 4

Chapter 4

There are times in life when you regret some things, things you did, things others did to you. I regretted each time I didn't punch Derrickin the face when he was cruel or stood up for someone, even if it was their fault. I regretted not getting that special pudding they had at dinner last night because Nate kept going on about it. And as I stood facing trouble, or trouble facing me, depending on how you look at it, I regretted what I did. Kind of.

This was one of the moments humans talked about. Feeling. If we could feel, I would be feeling fear - an emotion that does not exist in our world, certainly not in the Sector of The Force. I didn't know if I should be shocked but was that feeling too? Some days these emotions blurred and I feared it was only me who felt them. I thought about telling someone, maybe even Nate but then I thought about if Derrick somehow found out, if The Elders found out. I shuddered to think about the consequences. Would there be consequences? What if they felt too?

It was one of the moments humans talked about where they felt their heart skipping a beat. This was one of those moments.

The heart.

I stared at him and he stared at me equally baffled. His eyes darted around and back to me as if he didn't know whether to take in the breathtaking scenery or to, well look at me. There was some disbelief in his eyes; clear blue, just like the sky on a summer's day. His dark hair was smooth, not a strand out of place, his cheeks slightly sunken to give an expression of raised cheekbones. And his lips, slightly full, pink and parted as he stared at me.

I never thought this day would come. Well, if I was going to get caught, I never assumed it would be by him.

Caught. My breathing slightly increased as the full repercussion of the moment hit me. I was caught. Caught trespassing essentially onto enemy land. Though we were the same species, it was considered enemy land. After all, there had to be some reason we did not interact?

"Iver," I breathed.

He blinked, surprised. Surprised I had said his name? A member of The Force said his name, someone other than Derrick? He opened his mouth to say something before promptly closing it. Maybe he wanted to say my name but he did not know it.

"What are you doing here?" The deep baritone of his voice carried over the cold wind on the terrace. Some weird sort of sensation came over my arm. I rubbed them to get rid of it as I considered his question. How do I reply? What I was doing here. I came to look out, to experience quietness, to listen to Adele on the radio. If I told him this, that would give away the fact that this was not the first time I had come here. Maybe it wasn't the first time he had noticed me. Maybe he only confronted me today. But no. This was Iver, the leader of The Intelligence. He was too smart not to confront me if he had seen me earlier.

So I kept my mouth shut.

Seems that wasn't the right thing to do as he strode towards me in angry steps, crossing the distance as he came to stand just a foot in front of me. My breath caught. I had never been this close to any member of The Intelligence, let alone their leader. Whilst some of The Force had fights with The Intelligence, they were controlled. Somehow never stepping into their side and if they did not for long. They had touched The Intelligence. But Iver? I had never seen anyone stand close to him, not even people of his own Sector.

A blast of cold wind shook the roof of the already crumbling hut but Iver paid it no attention, his focus on me as he stared down at me. He was tall, at least a head taller than me. He glared down at me and if this was a member of The Force, I would be expecting punches to be thrown. The Intelligence did not fight so to see the amount of... hatred in his eyes startled me. I did not know what to expect from him, their leader. If it was Derrick...

My thoughts cut off. Derrick. He would find out. As if reading my mind, I watched as if in slow motion, his hand gripped my arm. He tugged and I stumbled and too late I realised he was taking me down the spiral stairs of the terrace. Too engrossed in the feeling his touch ignited. Did he not realise he was touching me, albeit too harshly but still. It felt kind of warm where his hand was gripping mine and I looked down to see perfect hands. If hands could be perfect. Not a scratch that you might find unlike The Force as our main purpose was to fight. Scratches that healed quickly but scratches nonetheless. Of course, he probably sat in front of a big screen of some sort as they planned away tactics for war so there was no reason for any imperfections on his hands.

Too late I realised he was dragging me towards the front entrance of our quarters. Too late I realised his intention. I tried to pry his fingers off, a spark of some sort zinged its way up my hand. Iver stiffened his grip further. As we made our way in the hall below our sleeping quarters, he was practically dragging me along.

I saw both Sectors had ventured in through the separate entrances that led outside for our separate Sectors. People mingled around within their Sectors. I saw Derrick as he was talking to someone from our group. I heard gasps and felt glares being thrown my way as silence started to descend upon us.

Derrick noticed and turned to face us. His eyes widened as he glanced from Iver to me, to his hand gripping mine. Iver roughly released my arm and shoved me towards Derrick, safely on my side. The side I was never supposed to cross.

I looked up at Derrick and a malicious and angry expression cross his face as the situation fully took its' hold on him. And I knew. This was his chance. I had avoided his wrath for so long. My actions never direct enough for him to give me a punishment but not now. Now I had committed a crime. Humans would say I had crossed State lines. Therefore, I must be punished and as I looked at Derrick, I saw his hand twitch. I had learnt to observe people well, a trait handy in battle, to learn your opponent's moves. Derrick's hand only twitched for one thing. His favourite punishment.

Regrets and feelings.

The heart.

AN: And a year later, an update. But too busy with my Masters to do anything. I go back to uni on Monday so thought why not. I thought maybe I won't be able to write this or continue since it has been so long. But I managed to write a chapter. Unsure if my writing's any different but don't forget to vote and comment!