Chapter 3

Chapter 3

We all piled out The Hall the way we came in, in an orderly queue but now there was tension in the air, chatter amongst everyone and fear. Fear of the humans and what they are capable of, what they are going to do to us because there is no avoiding the war that is coming. Blood is going to be spilt and lives are going to be lost, both human and Elite. But we will be prepared. Isn't that what The Elders said?

Until today I didn't have anything against the humans, if anything they intrigued me. But with the impending war, I was going to have to fight - for the lives of The Elites and for my friends, not that I had many.

We had arrived near our living quarters which had a large area separating the rooms of The Force and The Intelligence. Everyone was whispering whilst Derrick waited for us to quiet down. He held up a hand when he realised that was not going to happen any time soon. Immediately a hush fell over us.

"The Elders have decided to give you the day off today from classes as us, the leaders, will need to change existing class schedules and content," Derrick said. A day off? This was another first; today seemed to be a day full of firsts. "Don't get into trouble," he continued as he swept a gaze over all of us. It was a warning, a warning that one did not take lightly because Derrick was cruel. He had all sorts of methods of punishment and no one wanted his wrath upon them.

The group dispersed, everyone heading outside. The Intelligence appeared, except for Iver, and they also made their way outdoors.

"Are you coming?" I looked at Nate as he looked me enquiringly.

I shook my head. "I'm going to head to my room."

"Why? We never get a day off so come outside and let's relax."

"I can relax in my room," I said and cut him off before he could say anything. "But you go on ahead."

Nate shrugged and he left. He knew not to argue with me because I was too stubborn.

I looked around at the emptiness of the building and then made my way to the bathrooms that were located where the classes were. The long corridor split into two; one end of the corridor was for us and the other, for The Intelligence. There were cameras in certain parts of the building but the bathroom corridor was not one of them. I looked around again and listened closely to see if anyone was around but the place seemed deserted. And so taking a deep breath, I did what I shouldn't be doing, what was forbidden: I stepped onto The Intelligence's territory.

----

I had only put a foot on 'the other side' but I was frozen for a while as not for the first time, I considered the consequence of getting caught. What would they do if they found out? What would Derrick do? I shuddered thinking of the possible outcomes but curiosity was as they call it, a bitch.

Tiptoeing I made my way over to the far end of the corridor that belonged to The Intelligence. The bathrooms were to my right but there was a small door at the end that had hazard symbols marked on them. I remember the first time I had seen it, it made me wonder why there wasn't a similar if not identical door on our side. After all, they tried to eliminate differences as much as possible. A 'Keep Out' sign was posted on the door, painted in black with a yellow background.

Pulling open the door slowly, I was met with darkness. I stepped in, pulling the door behind me closed. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I saw what had baffled me when I first came in here: supplies. There were all sorts of cleaning liquids shelved with mops and other things. If The Intelligence had cleaning supplies, why didn't we? Surely we didn't share these, did we? However, if all this was were cleaning products, why was there a 'Keep Out' and 'Danger' sign posted on the door? It was almost as if they wanted to keep us from entering the room, as if it was hiding something other than cleaning products.

But what was there to hide?

The answer came to me when I was about to close the door but something shined at the back of the room. I had gone in, curiosity remember? And found that it was actually sunlight that was filtering through a slit in the ceiling. When my eyes had further adjusted, I looked around only to find a set of stairs spiralling upward to the ceiling. Climbing the stairs, I realised it was the length of the entire building and by the time I had reached the top, I was sort of out of breath.

There was some sort of door in the ceiling which had a rusted lock on it which was easy to break. When I had flung open the door, I was met with the blue sky that had taken my breath away. When I climbed out, it seemed it was some sort of terrace that overlooked everything. You could see far into the distance, as far as the electrical fence that ran along entire circumference of our land. I know it was electrical because The Elders had told us of people in the past who had ventured out there, and died because of getting shocked.

Now as I stood breathing in the air, I walked towards the edge of one side carefully and saw Nate and the rest in the training compound to the side of the building. This is where we trained and had most of our classes but we also had an indoor compound for when the weather was not up to par. They couldn't see me this far up and they looked like tiny people from up here. I walked over to the other edge and found a grassy area where The Intelligence were laying. Some had books that they were reading and others had some kind of tech in their hands. Huh. Did they not do anything else?

I would have never known what their side looked like because we didn't go over to their side and they didn't venture into ours. Well, that is until I found this terrace. However, the terrace wasn't bare. There was a small hut looking structure that was falling apart towards the back which had more dust and rust than anything. After scrimmaging through, I hadn't found much besides this odd looking box with buttons on it. After playing with it for a while, I had nearly jumped out of my skin when a voice had crackled through.

After listening to it for a few hours, I had concluded what it was. A radio. A human radio. I had wondered what an item that obviously belonged to the humans was doing here. It was not like humans had gotten through the fence or ever lived here so how did this radio get here? It was obviously years old and I had somewhat cleaned the dust off of it. It is this that had first gotten me interested in the humans. There were strange voices of both male and female that talked about a certain Kim Kardashian and a Adele. I had realised Kim was some sort of famous person and Adele was a singer; she made music.

Music. That was what the sweet tunes that came out of this radio were called. And Adele sang this song with a lot of 'hello' in it but it was a beautiful tune nonetheless. Her voice was so powerful it gave me the chills when I had first heard it. But this Kim Kardashian and what I presume to be her family, were kind of annoying. It made me wonder why such mundane things were even discussed as if it mattered, mattered more than war. They never really discussed us, only discussed their problems. It was as if we didn't exist to them.

I was sat looking out to the fence, the soft breeze of the wind and the slowly dropping of temperature meant it was getting to evening. It was coming to the cold seasons now and as I watched the Sun dip at its horizon, I wondered what it would be like to stay like this forever. But forever was too far away as a noise broke me out of my reverie. Quickly switching off the radio, I stood and turned around only to come face-to-face with trouble.