Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Single file.

Left foot.

Right foot.

We walked in synchronisation as we were lead to The Hall. We wore bodysuits made of leather-like material which was so perfectly moulded to our skin that it made it difficult to breathe at times. Times like this where we were being called to The Hall for the second time this year. Normally, these 'lectures' are held once a year so everyone seemed equally baffled and anxious when the speakers announced our summoning.

Usually, there were whispers amongst the queue when we are lead to The Hall but not today. It was quiet, everyone lost in their own thoughts, just the sound of our boots clacking against the floor was heard as if it was some military proceeding.

Everything was white - the walls, the ceiling, the floor - like in a hospital. This was the living quarters which housed a lot of us. Each of us had a room to ourselves which wasn't too big but enough for a bed, a cupboard, a personal bathroom and some walking space. The exterior of all the buildings were glass - said buildings included the school.

We were woken up earlier than usual today for this so it was only natural to be mildly irritated.

Natural.

Nothing about us was natural. We resembled them, talked, walked, slept and ate like them too. We even had names like them but we didn't age as quickly as them nor did we feel like them.

Them. The humans - they fascinated me. It was perhaps unnatural for me to have any sort of interest them; after all it was forbidden to associate with humans.

I was brought out of my thoughts as I slightly bumped into the person in front of me. Nate. He was my only friend that listened to me, understood me and was just simply there for me. I realised the march had come to a halt. It was like a domino effect. Everybody peeked over each other's shoulders to find out the reason and as I caught sight of what stopped us, my breath caught slightly.

They were the same as us, not human, yet they were different; we were from different Sectors. We wore all black whilst they wore similar attire to us, except all white. Apparently, our numbers were greater than theirs and it was understandable why that was the case.

They were The Intelligence.

They were the 'brains' of our society. They had intellect, their brains reportedly worked faster than ours - though that confused me as the brain was the one thing they couldn't control, The Elders. On the other hand, we were The Force. We fought, not in battle, but in school where they taught us a lot of things - about us, the humans. The main focus, however, was learning physical fighting. It puzzled me as it was drilled into us not to associate with humans in any way or form, yet the fights and the techniques they taught us came from the human world.

"Iver," a voice sneered. Derrick. He was the leader of our Sector. Giving orders, keeping us 'in line' and hating me was part of his job description. The feeling was mutual.

"Derrick," a deep, husky voice said in response. Iver was the leader of The Intelligence. He was usually aloof, alone and always wore a blank face, like the rest of but his blank face was more... prominent. We also hated each other.

The two Sectors never got along, they thought they were better than us and vice versa due to which fights usually broke out. But we associated with each other as much as we did with the humans - we didn't - as if centuries of old rivalry existed between us.

"I see you and your group of scums are also invited."

We lived in the same building which had twenty floors of rooms after rooms on each side. The Intelligence lived opposite us. There was no physical barrier or wall between our side and theirs, just an invisible line that one shouldn't cross unless you're asking for trouble. So if we walked out of our rooms, we could clearly see the living quarters opposite us. They were all designed in the same fashion except their doors were all painted white whilst ours black - keeping with the theme colours of our individual Sectors.

"I see you and your... people are too," he replied in a cold voice that sent shivers down my spine. He referred to us as people though the amount of dislike he said it with made it clear he thought the opposite but he was smart. Of course he was, he was the leader of The Intelligence for a reason. Derrick was only baiting him, it was almost routine. Derrick called Iver's Sector offensive names each time our paths crossed but Iver never retaliated directly.

"It would seem so," Derrick muttered, his narrowed as he glared at Iver. They stood there like that for a while, the rest of us in silence as we watched with bated breath to see if today was the day where Iver and Derrick (finally) fought. There was tension between us and people from each Sector got into fights but no-one has ever seen a fight between the leaders. They exchanged verbal blows all the time but never a physical fight.

"All Elites please report to The Hall," a voice boomed through the speakers. Our species were known as The Elites; superior, superlative, advanced - a race made by The Creator.

The line started moving again as Iver and Derrick stared straight ahead. I could see them both clearly since I wasn't too far behind in the queue. As we all marched to The Hall, I glanced to my left at The Intelligence and then at the distance between us. There was at least a two metre gap, almost as if the corridors were created to allow the distance.

We came to a stop again and I realised we had reached The Hall. I stared at the huge iron doors, the guards standing outside as if guarding some heavily kept secret. A loud groan resonated through the air as the doors to The Hall were flung open.

Vote. Comment.