17: December Daze

Chapter 17: December Daze

Lee Clarke, December 1st, 1946, Modoc County

6:30 am

I lay back on my bed, staring at the ceiling. My body hurts in ways it hadn't before. My back strained a little. My arms feel weak. One ankle even might be twisted.

Basketball.

Well, if I want to get better, I guess I need to stretch a little before practicing or messing around.

I sat up slowly. It was Mr. Cooper's morning check before breakfast today. I had half an hour to shower, dress and make my bed. A hot shower would feel good.

Today was the first of December.

I brought it up with Kelly yesterday. Christmas was a few weeks away. Christmas in jail. Without my family.

Donny walked in front of my bed, holding Herman's hand, my big boy rubbing his eyes and yawning, then hurrying a little when Herman's bell sounded.

Henry sat up in bed and like me, I could tell he was barely awake. His little mouth open and closed.

"Morning, Lee. You're up early."

Glen smiled dozily, running his hand through his fuzzy brown hair. A trifle less pretty, straight from sleep.

"I actually slept pretty good," I said, still not moving, trying to keep the warm pocket of my blankets intact.

Joey ambled pass, lifting his hand halfheartedly to us. Carl followed soon after.

I could hear Wes and Lewis chatting, and when I looked, I smiled at what I saw. Lewis sitting criss cross on Wes' bed, his blanket wrapped around him like a jacket. The two of them sitting quite close. Wes was holding back a laugh. Which was nice.

Davey was still asleep.

Stan ambled down the aisle, and sat with Glen on his bed, before laying down, and tucking his feet inside his brother's blanket, his head turned towards him.

"Ten more minutes, I guess." Glen said to me, then lay down too, pulling the blanket over them both. I could hear them talking very quietly, so I stood up and decided to get my shower over with, even though I really didn't want to leave my bed yet.

Kelly wasn't up yet, and neither was Little Bobby and Little Mouse. The last two together in the bed across from mine. The twins were skipping showers today, I guess, because they were already getting dressed.

"I don't want to get up," I said to no one in particular. Still muzzy from sleep.

"Come over here, Lee."

There was no one around Kelly's bed when I sat down.

"You can sleep here for a second, if you want."

He sat up a little, on his elbows, creases on his face from the pillow. Without thinking I leaned over and smoothed down the left side of his hair, which was sticking up in a clump.

"Thanks," he said under his breath.

I looked at his blankets and then up at him. Wondering what he meant. Yesterday things between us, on the basketball court, and last night seemed different. I could tell.

He couldn't quite meet my eyes as he moved over on the mattress, in his personal space, making room for me next to him.

I thought about all the times I'd lay next to Richard, in the same bed, growing up. Friends did that. Not that Richard and I were ever really only friends.