This Is Bad

Genevieve's heart dropped to her belly before bursting into a thousand butterflies. "Oh." She blinked at Ray, noting the seriousness in his eyes. He wasn't joking. He really wasn't joking.

"Be my girlfriend, Genevieve," Ray repeated as he took her hand in his and wove their fingers. Never in all her past relationships had her body reacted with such intensity to simply holding hands. Suddenly, she felt so hot. He was hot; everything was hot.

"I've shocked you to silence." There was a chuckle in Ray's voice, his smooth baritone rolling over her like a soothing wave.

It was happening again, this sudden shyness. Genevieve averted her gaze and shrugged. "Sure, I'll be your girlfriend."

Ray touched her chin, urging Genevieve to face him. "At least look me in the eye when you say that."

Genevieve still couldn't look at him. But this silly excitement she was feeling... She bit the corner of her lip as she struggled to stop a smile from appearing. The Batman boss asked me to be his girlfriend, and I said yes. Inner romance-obsessed Genevieve did excited cartwheels.

"Hey." When Ray swept a thumb over the back of her hand, Genevieve dragged her gaze up to meet his. He leaned closer, the muted scent of his cologne cranking up her anticipation to an even higher degree. "Say it." His focus dropped to her lips before lazily travelling back up.

"Say what?" Genevieve clenched her fist to keep herself from grabbing Ray by his shirt and pulling him in for a kiss. His proximity was beginning to cause Genevieve a factory shutdown.

"Say you'll be my girlfriend while looking at me." There was an anticipatory light in his eyes and that teasing smile.

"F-fine. I'll be your girlfriend."

"Good," Ray mumbled. Leaning forward, he brushed his lips against hers. Once. Twice. "You're my girl now," he whispered.

"Mhmm." Genevieve's belly spasmed at the contact, her heart doing a double as she gripped his shoulder and bunched his shirt. His lips were warm and firm against hers, and when he cradled the side of her face, she leaned into his kiss. He pulled her closer and swept his tongue over hers.

Their breaths mingled as Genevieve looped her arms around Ray's shoulders, surrendering to the moment—wishing it wouldn't end.

Breaking the kiss, Ray dragged his nose down her neck and drew a deep breath. "You smell divine."

Genevieve chuckled in response, still caught in a haze of excitement and disbelief. When he pressed a kiss on her neck, a shiver stopped her chuckle.

Ray drew back and swept his nose against hers. "It's almost 11 pm. We have a flight to catch tomorrow, don't we?"

Inner horny Genevieve shook her fist in disagreement. "Yeah," she said instead.

There was a new spark in Ray's eyes, and it suited him. As much as his broody personality intrigued her, Genevieve preferred this version of Ray. He felt more down-to-earth and... alive.

When she got to her bedroom door, she said good night first and rushed inside before she attempted something stupid.

Collapsing on her bed, Genevieve squealed into her pillow. Her emotions were a jumble of excitement, misgiving, even more excitement, curiosity, and disbelief.

Where was Ada?

Unable to sleep, Genevieve grabbed her phone and walked to the balcony. Maria picked on the second ring. She sounded groggy.

"Did I wake you?"

Maria yawned. "And if you did, what should I do? I know you're dying to tell me something. Go ahead."