Chaos

Kai took off his soaked boots. It was bad to keep them on for too long, trench foot was a terrible thing.

'This reminds me of the free-for-all Professor Hisoka made all of the kids do. I killed so many that week but the first night was a lot like this. Trying to stay dry and keep from freezing.'

The desert at night was freezing plus the rain made everything wet.

A single gunshot rang out from the night watchers.

Kai grabbed his Type 20 but froze as he heard no other shots.

Another shot but this time from the other side.

'Sniper."

Somebody screamed.

Kai walked over and saw Milad on the ground.

"Oh, no, no,no,no,no."

"I'm hit! I'm hit! I've been hit!"

Taghi tried to help Milad up.

"Get off!"

"No, MIlad. No."

"What's going on?!"

"You're fine."

"What happened?"

Taghi and Milad heard Kai say.

"The others, over there. They shot at me."

" They saw the flash of your muzzle."

Kai picked up Milads helmet and there was a bullet shot through. It missed Milad's head by an inch.

"From now on, keep your heads down. The next one will be in your head. Move about ten meters to the left. Shoot, change cover. Shoot, change cover."

Taghi shook his head.

"Yeah."

Kai walked back to his little ledge when a bright light from the other side shot up into the sky.

'Flares. A warning maybe."

Kai heard a thunk coming from across the trenches, the soldier in front of him about ten meters away exploded sending his blood and other bits all over Kai.

Kai froze.

'Artillery. That was close to my space. I would be dead if Milad didn't get shot.'

"Take cover! Take cover! Alarm!"

Explosions rocked the trench as screaming and orders were getting thrown around all over.

Kai saw two soldiers running towards somewhere.

'I'll follow them.'

Kai had no clue where to hide but these guys probably did

"Inside! Inside! Inside!"

Kai ran into what seemed like a bunker, he sat down taking a deep breath.

Milad and his group also made it with Diba.

Some covered their ears. Some covered their eyes. Some were screaming. Some sat still.

Kai heard Rasuol and Milad talking.

"Be careful with what you eat. That's what my mother said. We'll always be together won't we?"

"Yeah."

"We'll stick together. We'll always be...I can't do this, Milad. I can't do this. I need to go home."

Milad tried shushing Rasoul.

"I need to go home."

The shells finally stopped firing.

"Creeping barrage."