Chapter 4

Omniscient

Sincere watched as Que helped his grandmother up the steps and onto the sofa. She'd just returned from her chemotherapy, and she was weaker than usual. The chemotherapy had taken a lot of her energy. Today was her first round and Que, Sincere, and his mother had all gone in support.

"You okay?" Que questioned.

"I'm fine." His grandmother assured him.

"Okay, do you need anything?" He questioned.

"Que, I'm fine. Sit down somewhere."

"Okay." Que chuckled, going to take a seat on the love seat next to Sincere.

"You did really good today mama." Sincere smiled at Que's grandmother.

"Thank you." She smiled as she began to doze off. Chemotherapy was very tiring, and even more tiring for her because of her age. When she was fully asleep Que's mother placed a blanket over her and removed her shoes.

"She's out like a light." Que's mother chuckled.

"Yeah, I know that chemo probably tired her out." Sincere sighed, looking at her as she slept peacefully. Sincere turned to Que. "You okay?" She questioned; he hadn't said much.

"Yeah." He mumbled. Sincere sighed, she knew her husband was having a hard time seeing his grandmother like this. She stroked his cheek with the back of her hand.

"It's okay if you're not." She said softly. Que grabbed her hand, kissing the back of it.

"I'm fine, really." He assured her.

"Okay."

Sincere looked out of the window of Que's car as they made their way home. They'd been in the car for ten minutes and neither of them had said a word. Sincere turned to Que, observing him. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"No, I don't think I want to go to another chemo session. I don't like seeing her like that." Que had been trying to be strong for his mother and his grandmother, so he hadn't admitted that he wasn't okay when Sincere had asked him the first time. He knew if it was hard for him, it was hard for his mother.

"I understand." Sincere rubbed his jaw. "Don't worry about her, she's going to be okay." She assured him.

"I'm not trying to be negative, but she's old. There's a chance that she may not be able to fight this disease."

"I know, but don't think like that."

"I'm not trying to, but I have to be realistic." Que was honestly just trying to prepare himself for the worst. He was hoping his grandmother would be able to beat the cancer, but if she wasn't he wanted to be prepared.

Sincere looked at him with sympathy. She had never lost someone close to her, so she didn't really know what to say to comfort him. "Do you want to talk to Dr. Marie?" Sincere questioned.

"I think I'm okay."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Alright, let me know if that changes."

"I will." He assured her, grabbing her hand and kissing the back of it. Sincere gave him a small smile.

When they arrived home, they both stripped and got into the shower. They'd been around all of those germs at the hospital, and they needed to clean themselves. They stood side by side, rinsing themselves off in the shower. Their shower had two shower heads and a bench inside of it, which Sincere loved. Sincere looked over at Que as he stood there letting the water run down his body.