7

Chapter 44

Lisa

She unfolds the blanket, trying to cover as much of Rosé and I as she can with it. Instinctively, I throw my arm around the back of the couch, around her shoulders, to pull her closer to me for body heat. She lays her head on my shoulder and I reach down to grab her legs, swinging them up and over to lay them across my lap so she can be more comfortable, and more importantly, to try to provide her some more of my body heat. Her body stiffens. "Are you sure about this?" she asks, almost nervous.

"Positive." I assure her, loving the feel of her body on mine. Eventually, she relaxes, snuggling into my side as I soothingly run my hand up and down her leg.

"I know you're pissed at me..." Rosé says, "... but can I get in on this cuddle session? I could really use the body heat."

Jennie sleepily mumbles out an approval and Rosé curls up into a ball and plasters herself to Jennie's back, trying to soak up as much heat as she can while simultaneously using her as a pillow.

"You need more meat on your bones. Even with your puffy coat on I can feel your spine jutting into my cheek." Rosé playfully gripes, adjusting herself every few seconds to try to get comfortable.

After a few minutes, everyone is settled down and I'm pretty sure that I hear Rosé faintly snoring. Jennie has her cheek pressed up against my chest, her eyes closed, but I don't think she's actually asleep yet.

I look up to glance at rat boy whose face is slightly illuminated by the lone flashlight that's resting on Mrs. Lee's desk, so it's not pitch black in here. I catch him glaring at me in the dark, like some sort of demon. Normally, I'm not one that scares easily after watching a scary movie, but I'd be lying if I said he didn't give me the creeps. If it wasn't for the girls, especially Jennie laying comfortably against me, I'd get up and drag him to the nearest supply closet, locking him in there.

For a good remainder of the night, I stay awake just to make sure he doesn't try to kill me in my sleep. Once I'm sure that he's asleep, I give myself permission to close my eyes.

I feel Jennie shift, causing me to stir awake. I blink a few times, momentarily confused as I try to regain consciousness. I let my eyes adjust to the bright light pouring in from the small window and harshly reflecting off the white walls. When I'm pretty sure I have my sight back, I glance down to see a pair of honey coloured eyes staring back at me, the light hitting them perfectly.

"Hi." I rasp out, running my free hand that's not wrapped around her back and trapped by Rosé's body through her hair, pushing some of it out of her face.

"Hi." she whispers back, fighting back a small yawn.

"What time is it?" I ask, rubbing my eyes with the heel of my hand. I stretch a little and a sharp pain shoots up my spine, causing me to flinch.

She looks up at me with worry. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just stiff." I admit. While Mrs. Lee's couch isn't bad, sitting up all night isn't the most comfortable situation. I've slept in worst ways when I was just a child, though.

Jennie moves to get off me, but I hold her securely, not wanting to lose the feeling of her quite yet. She gets the hint and rest back against me, checking her watch. "It's almost 8:30." she says, her eyes drifting towards the window. "I wonder if the sun melted anything yet."

Rosé lets out a groan, stirring. "Shhh."

"Rosé, it's morning." Jennie says.

All Rosé does is let out a grunt. Jennie blows out a breath, resting her head back on my shoulder. After a few moments, I feel her body stiffen and she lifts her head, looking alert.