Close Encounters pt. 1

-Phoenix-

I pushed around the last bite of pasta on my plate with my fork as I leaned over the countertop, listening intently as Tyson told a story from his childhood. As he stood across from me, he was explaining how his older sister had been the one to teach him about the birds & the bees. As awkward as it was for a fifteen year old Tyson, he appreciated her doing so. His father's version of the conversation had occurred three years earlier and consisted of him being given a box of condoms and being advised not to screw anyone with a pedigree that didn't fit his own. That way there wouldn't be any chance of a girl getting pregnant on purpose to cash-in on the family fortune. I was starting to see a pattern when it came to his father and the more stories he told me, the more his entire existence made sense.

He'd also shared multiple stories and experiences that explained his relationship with his mother. As I'd guessed, it wasn't a close one. The way he'd conveyed it, she was responsible for why we'd have to pretend to be madly in love at dinner tomorrow night. Apparently she had a tendency for meddling in his affairs and often took things overboard. From the outside looking in, it sounded like typical mom behavior but once he explained how standoffish she was otherwise, things became more clear. She treated him more like an accessory than a son and as fortunate as he was, he deserved more. My upbringing was hell on earth but I think I prefer it over being treated like a vessel for my mother's narcissism. Not only had her actions created another narcissist, but they'd robbed him of the kind of love a child truly deserved. In a way, we'd both grown up without a mother and as sad as it was, I felt like we finally had something in common.

"Tahiry was always good at adding context. Now that I think of it, everything I know about women comes from her too," he scoffed before taking a sip of his wine.

"Will she be at dinner?" I asked, finally putting the last of my pasta into my mouth as I waited for his answer. He froze, his previously cavalier demeanor now replaced with unease. His gaze dropped to his plate and the earlier sadness I'd seen in his eyes returned as he took his time responding. A feeling of dread sprouted in the pit of my stomach as I chewed cautiously.

"Uh... No. Tahiry... Tahiry passed a few years ago from ovarian cancer. The gala that you're planning is actually to benefit the organization my family created in her honor. It funds ovarian cancer research," he finally spoke, his eyes meeting mine again. The food in my mouth lost all flavor and I immediately misplaced my appetite as it clicked. I felt like a complete fool for not realizing Tahiry's Angels was clearly created in her name. I couldn't apologize fast enough.

"Tyson, I'm so sorry! I didn't even realize... Please, forgive my ignorance for not putting two and two together," I pleaded after swallowing the now tasteless pasta. As I was speaking, I still felt there couldn't have been any right thing for me to say. I'd put my whole foot in my mouth like it was desert.

"You don't have to apologize, it was an honest mistake... It's just been a while since I said the words out loud..." he replied, his gaze dropping to his plate again as he spoke. I reached across the counter to rub his hand and comfort him as best as I could. I knew it could never soothe what I'm sure was a deep sense of pain and grief but it was all I could offer in the moment. In response, he entwined his large fingers with mine, moving his thumb against the back of my hand as if I were the one who needed comforting.

"She was the kindest, most understanding, morally incorruptible person I ever met. It used to bug me as a kid because I could never get away with anything when she was around," he spoke, smiling to himself before he continued, "but as adults, I trusted her more than anyone else because of it. When she passed, I just couldn't understand how such a good person could have their life cut so short," he finished, his eyes distant like he was reliving it all over again. My heart ached for the second time as I watched him.