Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A deafening blast broke the silence and dragged me screaming through the choking darkness. Gasping for breath, frantically seeking for something to cling to, I faltered for a moment when I found the space beside me empty. I struggled to focus, my hands restlessly moving about, but there was nothing. That's when the terror began to pull me back under.

Flashes of images, so shocking, fired rapidly at me. They were jumbled at first, but slowly they began to make sense, and it came with a gut wrenching pain that stole my breath. Suddenly, my ears were filled with the fury-laden howl of a wolf. My wolf. She was furious and in no way consolable. The nightmare had triggered memories in her also.

My heart raced, beating hard against my chest, and I let out a strangled whimper as I fought to regain control. Closing my eyes, I tried to block out the thoughts bombarding me as the events of the night began to replay themselves. Without realizing, I started to rock back and forth.

Jasmine. Beautiful, sweet, perfect Jasmine. Gone, and it was all my fault. It was my stubborn pride—thinking I could protect us, which had led to the fateful encounter. It was because of my inability to act that I couldn't stop him from stealing her from me.

Bile rose in my throat, bringing with it a taste that caused my wolf to suddenly stop her howling. A new feeling surged through me, one of triumph and a strong sense of retribution. She was pleased with her part in the evening, and I couldn't help the shudders overtaking my body as I connected the unique flavor filling my mouth.

Flesh and blood. His. I couldn't hide away from the small sense of satisfaction I felt. Even though I hadn't been able to take care of it, she had. She'd taken a firm hold of the situation, pushed me into the background, and hunted the monster down. Without mercy. Without hesitation.

Tearing him limb from limb until he was unrecognizable, she refused to give back control, adamant she was the only way to keep us safe. Looking down at my body as it nestled under piles of soft, warm blankets, I strained to remember how I managed to convince her to release me.

A name whispered in my mind, and my muscles instantly relaxed as if the mere mention of him was enough to ease the tension. Mason. He had come, and his help had restored me. He'd seen the devastation, how I'd failed him, and still he had patiently been there.

Shame pounded into me. How could I possibly look him in the eye again, knowing I cost him his beloved sister? Sure, he brought me back, but it was more from the duty of being the Alpha, and I doubted he would still want to mate with me.

Just the idea of never completing the bond stirred up fear and an agony so acute, tears began to stream down my face. I pulled my knees up into my chest and hugged them, continuing my steady rocking.

What am I going to do?

Thoughts raced through my mind and I could feel the hysteria building. The nightmare had finally released me from its grip, but now a new one, a world without Jasmine, Mason, and my pack began to take shape, and it was by far the most terrifying.

A noise erupted into the air, disturbing the silence of the room. It took a moment to realize I was the one making it. I was shocked to hear how weak and destitute I sounded. There was nothing confident about it. It belonged to someone who had just lost everything, and the weight of it crushed me.

I clamped a hand over my mouth, desperate to stop the noise before it brought people to my room. The last thing I needed was everyone trying to figure out what happened. It would come soon enough if I knew the rumor mill at all. I was part of a pretty amazing pack, the Mystic Wolves, but like most, we enjoyed a little gossip, and I wasn't ready to face it.