Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

The flickering of the candlelight caused soft shadows to dance around the room. The night had been complete perfection, and as I watched Mason push his plate away with a look of satisfaction across his face, I deemed the dinner a success.

It'd taken a few days to get everything squared away, the business of Avery and his attempt to overthrow Zane finally put to rest. There had been countless meetings, the bouncing back and forth of ideas between leaders; precautions put into place with the hope of preventing something like this in the future.

Mason didn't hold out much hope, believing there would always be someone with more greed and pride than common sense. He believed in the alliance, and it was stronger than ever. The events hadn't turned him bitter, if anything he was more determined to protect his pack.

Smiling across the table, I couldn't help the sigh of relief I let out. I'd been able to smuggle him away from everything for a night of pampering like I'd wanted. At first, my plan had revolved around him, making sure he knew he was supported and loved, but as the night progressed, the focus rested on both of us. We were a couple—there wasn't one without the other.

"So, did you enjoy the dinner?" I glanced over at his empty plate. It seemed silly to ask because there were a few moments where I wondered if he'd pick up his dish and lick it clean. It was something he would do, especially when he was in a goofy mood.

"It was delicious, Darcy. I enjoyed every mouthful. In fact, you need to tell me your secret." There was a twinkle in his eye, and I blushed.

Please tell me he didn't figure it out, I thought. "What do you mean?" I spoke aloud, chewing on my bottom lip.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear this tasted just like the chicken fettuccine from Mama Alder's Kitchen. How'd you manage that?" Dipping his finger into the remaining sauce, he swirled it around his plate before licking it off his finger. "I can't get enough."

I could feel the heat on my face, and prayed the light from the candles would hide some of my embarrassment. There was no fooling this man, and I avoided looking him in the eye.

"Well ... you see," I stuttered, trying to explain how I had no other choice than to quickly order out, the meal I planned was burnt to a crisp, and now lay hidden in the trash bin outside.

"It's okay, sweetheart. It doesn't matter where it came from—it's the thought that counts. You did an amazing job, so thank you." He took one last sip of his drink, emptying the glass before rising to his feet. Walking over to the counter, he turned up the soft music I had playing, and standing before me, extended his hand. "Would you dance with me?"

Tingles erupted over my skin, my heart beginning to race as I looked up into the face of the man I loved. He was breathtaking, his masculine beauty still causing an affect. "There's nowhere I'd rather be than in your arms."

The smile he offered melted my insides, and he pulled me up into his embrace as we slowly began to move back and forth to the sound of the melody. I loved the intimacy of the moment—the closeness, and how our bodies seemed to fit just right.

"Sorry about dinner. I worked so hard and wanted everything to be perfect." I rested my head against his shoulder, murmuring into his shirt. "One day, I'll be able to cook a meal to completion without Daniel needing to run in with a fire extinguisher."

Mason chuckled, and I felt him tighten his hold as he bent his head forward to whisper near my ear. "You're wrong, sweetheart. Tonight was perfect, but not because of dinner. You're the reason, and this is what makes it wonderful—being able to talk with you, touch you, and hold you close. You'll always be the best part of my day and why I look forward to the rest of our life together. With you by my side, I have it all."