Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

A sharp knock was all the notice I got before Daniel poked his head though the door, asking if it was safe to enter. Despite my doubts, the hour had flown by quickly and I was grateful the book had held my attention so completely. Having already called Mason, I was eager to get out of the room so I quickly placed the book mark and returned the novel to my bedside table.

"Of course, it's safe to enter. What were you expecting? World War Three or something?" I laughed at the look of surprise on his face as he glanced around my room.

"I was at least expecting a few broken things. You know, from throwing them at that stubborn alpha of ours after he laid down the law." Obviously not finding what he was hoping, he looked back at me, shaking his head. "Now, now Darcy, where is your female indignation from being ordered about? Tell me there were at least tears? Threats? Pouting?"

"You're a dork!" I laughed, punching him in the arm. He flinched, rubbing the spot, acting as though I'd given him a mortal wound. "Oh come on, that couldn't have hurt. You're such a ham, Daniel."

Laying off the theatrics, he stopped and suddenly looked serious. "Of course not. I was merely trying to make you feel better." A slow smile curled his lips and he leaned in for effect. "Besides, has anyone ever told you, you punch like a girl?" He took a large step backwards, avoiding the second swing of my arm by a mile. "See what I mean?"

"How else am I supposed to hit, Daniel? Hello ... I am a girl!" I used my hands to show my body. "Is this why you don't have a girlfriend? Are you confused about what we look like?" I squealed out loud as he reached out to swat me, and I tried my best to block him. My arm went wide, resulting in the painful sting of his hand connecting with my side.

"Crap, Darcy. Do you not know how to defend yourself?" His cheeky grin now turned incredulous.

"I'm a werewolf. I always assumed I had the natural ability to take care of myself. I didn't think it was that important," I paused.

"Until now." All joking was gone as Daniel finished my sentence.

"Yeah. I didn't like how it felt being so defenseless. Avery cut me off from my wolf completely. I was helpless against his compulsion." I looked up to find eyes filled with compassion. "I don't want to feel like that again."

"Then that's what we'll work on." He offered no more explanation as he took hold of my hand, leading me from my room and out of the house. He kept a brisk, steady pace as we made our way to the back of the property, to the space where Mason had a gym installed.

Throwing the doors wide open, Daniel made quick work of turning on the lights, revealing a place filled with every kind of fitness equipment you could imagine. I glanced over at the treadmill. That was by far my favorite because I was able to read while I walked and avoid just staring off into nothing. I moved to go climb on it, but I was directed elsewhere.

"Welcome to your first ever lesson in self-defense ... Daniel style."

I raised my eyebrows at the last part of his comment because I had no idea what he meant by it. Judging from the cocky way he stood, I'd say I was in for an education of sorts.

"Ready? Assume the position."

I burst out laughing, my hands covering my mouth. "What position?" I struck a pose and watched his eyes almost pop out of his head.

"Oh, no you don't, I'm being serious. I know I don't have much to work with." He smiled as he walked a slow circle around me, flicking his hand at my ponytail. "But I need to at least show you some basics. This is the position I want you in." He stood in a fighting stance, and I rolled my eyes.