Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

He must have realized I needed this moment because he didn't come after me, leaving me to my thoughts.

My feelings were definitely different from this morning. Gone was the need to run and hide from him. While the grief for Jasmine was still there, a constant weight around my heart, he had convinced me we would be okay, and nothing had changed between us. I took great comfort in that and wrapped it around me like a warm, fluffy blanket, fresh out of the dryer. I took strength from knowing I wasn't alone, and I would always have my strong wolf mate beside me. A contented sigh escaped my lips. The pain I was feeling would lessen over time. There were still matters to take care of and within the month—finally, our mating ritual.

In the few short hours since I'd been awake, I felt lighter and I knew I owed it all to Mason. When the man set out to prove a point, he never held back, and I was grateful once again for his devotion. He could've easily used his Alpha powers to command me to see sense. Maybe a lesser person would've, but not him. He always led with his heart when it came to me, never afraid to show just how deeply he felt. It was one of the many things I loved about him.

A cold breeze wafted over my skin, and I realized I couldn't feel the sun anymore. I opened my eyes slowly, seeing it crest through the trees and I recognized time had passed. We'd pushed the limits of Devlin's patience long enough, and standing up, I looked around for Mason.

He was reclining against a crop of rocks, catching the last of the sun's rays before it dipped fully behind the tree line. He stole my breath with his masculine beauty, the way the light played off the golden tint of his skin. Moisture collected in my mouth as I waded my way over to him, careful not to disturb him. There weren't many moments where he was able to just relax and I loved seeing the boyish look of peace covering his face.

Reaching up, I went to trail my fingers over his abdomen, wanting to see them tense when his hand whipped out and grabbed hold of my wrist.

"No you don't, Darcy. No touching. We need to head back. I can feel everyone going crazy back at the house."

For someone who should be moving, Mason lay still, his eyes closed. He could've been asleep if it wasn't for the wide grin he was wearing. He lifted my hand to his mouth, gently kissing the back of it and slowly pulled himself into a sitting position.

My hungry eyes took in every move, and I was pretty sure I sighed.

"I love the way you move. Are you sure we have to go back straight away?" I tried to put a smolder in the look I gave him, but Mason was busy stretching out his muscles, looking around.

"I'm glad I brought you here. I like the idea that this is something special—just for us. I have lots of plans involving this place." He smiled, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

He moved slowly, leisurely over to a pair of trees, looking behind it for something.

What are you looking for? I whispered mentally to him. Nothing. Not even an indication he'd heard me. Mason? I tried harder. It was like talking to myself.

Hey Mason, I think we should run away and raise cows and bunnies and all things rainbow and sunshine. I shouted mentally, focusing as hard as I could while sending images.

That made him pause. He slowly stopped, a look of curiosity on his face. "Rainbow cows dancing with bunnies in the sun? Something you want to share?"

I rolled my eyes at him. Obviously, whatever was happening with the mental connection between us, it was distorting things. I watched him look one more time around the trees before giving up and walking back over to me.