Chapter 4 - Painful secrets

Furina's POV

 I took another sip of the bottle of fire-water in my hands, hoping it would quell the intense fear inside me.

 Wriothesley...

 He knows...

 He knows, but how much?

 I asked him about his relationship with Neuvillette not only because I was truly interested, but to try and give myself some time to prepare for whatever it was that he could say.

 Maybe he didn't know much, only some superficial information.

 Maybe he didn't know anything and was simply insane and talking nonsense.

 But it appears I was wrong and he didn't give me much time to think.

 "I know that you are not Focalors, Furina." He said.

 His voice was soft and surprisingly gentle, but that did not help soften the blow that those words spoke out loud gave me.

 "Wha-What- I-"

 "Don't. Please don't try and deny it. I know that you were told to act as archon while Focalors tries to stop the prophecy. I know that you are no god." He interrupted me.

 Ah...

 For those words to be spoken out loud.

 It both terrified me and felt like a great relief.

 Even though I was filled with fear knowing that the secret I had kept hidden for so long was out, deep down I couldn't help but feel like I was finally done now. That everything was over.

 Even though I knew damn well that I was not done.

 I had my head bowed while he spoke, trying not to look scared half to death, so I was shocked when I was suddenly enveloped in a hesitant hug.

 "Furina, I... I want to tell you- No, I need to tell you that you are doing well. You are doing your best and that's enough." He whispered.

 Enough...?

 It is enough-

 "Fontaine will be-"

 "Just continue doing as you did till now, Furina." He cut me off.

 Ah...

 He won't tell me.

 He either can't or is refusing to do so.

 But...

 "How long into the future did you return from?" I managed to ask.

 "Five years."

 Five years...

 "And the prophecy-"

 "Soon."

 Soon he says...

 It was a terrifying thing to know but at the same time, it made me smile.

 In five years Fontaine still stands.

 Or at least he was still alive and so was Neuvillette.

 Neuvillette would not have just watched Fontaine fall.

 While the lack of explanation left room for doubt, I chose to believe in the best instead of the worst.

 Because he said I was doing enough.

 And for once...

 I'll trust someone for once, consequences be damned.

 I finally managed to move my arms and return the hug.