Chapter Three

Question: Do you think traditional witches should use wands like they do in HP, or is them being wandless better suited?

.....

It's mid-afternoon by the time that Tansy wakes but even then she feels like she can sleep longer, but if she wants to get herself adjusted to this time zone then she needs to start trying to get into a routine in which she is going to bed at a reasonable hour, starting today. She wants to get adjusted as soon as possible. Still dressed in her earlier clothing, Tansy shuffles out of the bedroom and towards where she can smell fresh coffee brewing. It's what got her out of bed to begin with, otherwise she would have laid in bed for a while longer. But she needs to get moving, she needs to get her body settled. Sheila is standing in the kitchen waiting for the coffee pot to finish brewing. She looks surprised that Tansy is awake already.

"I thought you would have slept for longer" Sheila comments as she pours out some coffee for Tansy.

"Hmmm," Tansy whines a little as she sits down at the counter. "Just wanted to get adjusted..." She takes the mug when Sheila offers it to her. "Thank you" She takes a drink and then wrinkles her nose a little. "I miss Hogwarts coffee" She mumbles and Sheila laughs slightly.

"Me too" She agrees.

"So I guess Bonnie isn't living with you?" Tansy asks. She has noticed a lack of a teenage girl in the house. She remembers what it was like at the Dursley's and there were always signs that she was living there. The smell of perfume and hairspray. Make-up marks. Clothes and shoes. But there is none of that here.

"No, she lives with her father" Sheila answers. "And Bonnie's father isn't a fan of all the 'magic stuff'" She adds as she sits across from Tansy. "So I don't get to see her as often as I would like to, but I am sure she is blossoming into her abilities. I recognise the panic in her eyes"

"I've never heard of someone coming into their magic so late" Tansy admits. "Fifteen, maybe, but on the cusp of adulthood..." She shakes her head and hums a little, thoughtful. "You and your daughter, that was both normal, right?"

"I started showing signs at eight and Abby was nine....." Sheila answers. Tansy wrinkles her nose. It does seem a little strange that Bonnie wouldn't have shown any signs before now. "I blame her father's genetics" Sheila adds. Tansy snorts and sets the mug on the counter. "I texted her earlier to come over when she can, likely in a couple of hours after school" Tansy glances at the clock on the wall and hums.

"I'll shower and change" She offers, standing and grabbing the coffee mug. "Can I go through your library after?" She asks. "I still need to figure out a lesson plan"

"You can borrow whatever you need to" Sheila assures her. "Whilst you are here, this is your home" Tansy smiles softly at her and then heads off in search of the bathroom.

.......

Tansy has one of Sheila's grimoires open in her lap that she reads from whilst listening to music through her iPod nano that sits next to her on the couch. Turns out that Sheila has a massive magical book collection, far larger than she initially thought. Not only are all the books in her bedroom magical, but the books in Sheila's living room are extensive. It's like she has a mini Hogwarts library in her house only without the annoying librarian guarding them. Sheila sits across the room at a desk, making notes for her lesson plans not just for Hogwarts but for her other teaching position at a local muggle college, which is a fascinating concept for Tansy. Sheila is teaching the occult which is as close as teaching magical theory to muggles as she can get without breaking wizarding laws. The front door opens when Bonnie lets herself into the house.

"Hey, Grams" She greets, closing the door behind her and then turns to face the room. Bonnie blinks and stares when she notices Tansy, and whilst Tansy is unaware of the why, Sheila knows. She had seen it in Tansy when growing up. The similarities between Tansy and Elena Gilbert. Tansy has never met Elena, of which Sheila is sure of, but it is too close for something not to be going on. Some link somewhere. She just hasn't found it yet. Tansy is British. She was born to a British wizard and whilst it was no secret that Lily was not her mother, no one knew who her mother was. And Elena is American. Born to Grayson and Miranda Gilbert. No connection to James Potter. It has been a frustration for Sheila since she first noticed it.

"Hi" Tansy waves at her but Bonnie is looking at her weirdly. Like she's seen a ghost. Bonnie looks at her grandmother and she can see the same connection made in her eyes.

"Bonnie, this is Tansy Potter, she's a former student of mine.....I asked her to help you"

"What?" Bonnie asks, dropping her bag onto the end of the couch.

"Well, Tansy is a younger witch and..."

"Your grandmother thought you might prefer a more....relatable mentor" Tansy explains for her. Sheila looks at her gratefully because she wasn't sure how to word that without sounding offensive of herself. There was no way she could think of to not make herself sound ancient. Tansy leans back in her seat. "You know, because I'm cool and hip" Bonnie smiles a little as Tansy smirks. "That's what the kids say...." She offers for Sheila who smiles back at her.

"You are going to teach me magic?" Bonnie asks, Tansy hums and nods. Bonnie sits next to her and smiles encouragingly, waiting for her first lesson, right here, right now. Tansy laughs a little.

"Tomorrow" Tansy offers. "Let me get settled first" Bonnie nods, but does look rather disappointed that she is not going to get straightaway magic lessons. She might be against herself having magic, but the sound of someone teaching her is a great prospect that she can't deny. And Tansy must be pretty good if her grandmother had her come all this way. That out of all of her students, Tansy is the one who came.

"Will you stay for dinner?" Sheila asks Bonnie who looks across at her and nods. She is here now and she doesn't want to come across as ungrateful and singular.