Chapter Five

Note: So I was thinking about Tansy's Hogwarts years and wondered if she would have been given an heirloom in her first year, like when Harry is given his cloak. Given that Taz is James' daughter too, it would have been unfair to give it to Harry and Taz not to get something too. In my Other Potter story, Daisy will be given the Ring of Illumination, which is capable of producing light-based magic that produces sparks and fiery energy in a yellow/orange colour palette that is capable of giving off not only light, but also warmth. Capable of illuminating the darkest of places and warming the coldest of environments. I could lean towards something similar to that but I don't know how much that would matter for Tansy. Ideas welcome.

......

Bonnie is prompt the next day to arrive at her grandmother's home for her first magic lesson with Tansy. Perhaps too eager to get answers to what is happening to her. Real answers. Something for her to get her head around. Bonnie lets out a breath as she closes the front door behind her, her eyes scanning around for Tansy only to find her grandmother sitting in her armchair with a large dusty book open in her lap.

"Hey, Baby" Sheila greets warmly with a knowing smile. She knew that Tansy would get to Bonnie better than she ever could, and this already proves it. Bonnie's excitement at the prospect of learning magic.

"Hey, Grams" Bonnie greets back, bouncing on her feet a little. Sheila chuckles and turns back to her book.

"She's is in the kitchen" Sheila informs her and Bonnie immediately heads across the room towards the kitchen in the next room, pushing open the swing door to find Tansy sitting at the kitchen counter with a tea set and a pile of books. Bonnie sets down her bag and her jacket before moving to join her new friend. Tansy glances at the clock on the wall and smirks. Bonnie literally would have had to speed from the school to get here at this time, or skipped out early.

"What are you drinking?" Bonnie asks as she takes the seat next to Tansy.

"Tea" Tansy answers with a sly smirk, because it is pretty obvious what she is drinking by the actual tea set on the counter. Bonnie gives her a look and Tansy snorts. "It's a remedy tea" Tansy offers. "To help with my jet lag" She explains and sets the cup in her hand down. "It's taking me a while to settle....I've never travelled this far before" She tilts her head a little and turns to Bonnie. "Should I go through the small talk questions or do you just want to get started?" Tansy asks her, Bonnie smiles and shrugs a little.

"It would be nice if someone asked me how school went" Bonnie admits and Tansy's eyes sadden. She gets that. The Dursleys never cared about how school went for her. Not that her school days were normal. Bonnie's father doesn't like the magical aspect of Sheila, so he likely hasn't talked to Bonnie about her blossoming powers which means she likely feels isolated from him.

"So...how was school?" Tansy asks her as Bonnie helps herself to Tansy's cup of tea.

"Pretty boring actually" Bonnie answers. "Considering that the last month has been rather eventful. With the things that have been happening around me....with my magic"

"I can imagine" Tansy taps Bonnie's hand and gives her a smile.

"But today was better" Bonnie adds and smiles back at Tansy. She feels more confident in herself, she feels at ease and less afraid. She thinks it has to be because of Tansy. Even after them literally only having one conversation. She just feels comfortable about herself and her magic around her. Tansy who looks so normal and seems so normal so how bad can being a witch actually be? "What about you?" Bonnie asks. "How was your day?"

"Well, I spent most of it in bed trying to work out how best to teach you magic" Tansy answers and shrugs a little. "I urm...It's been a while and different circumstances since I last had to teach" Tansy sits up in her seat and clears her throat, not ready to get into that with the girl she's only just met. The Second Wizarding War will likely come up at some point, but until then she isn't ready to talk about it. "Sooo" Tansy draws out and nods to herself. Enough small talk questions. "You are a Traditional witch" Tansy explains as she pats on the books in front of her. "I am a Pure witch"

"What's the difference?" Bonnie asks as her eyes track Tansy.

"History, culture and practices" Tansy answers. "I will go through them with you....don't worry, I'm not just going to shove a book at you and expect you to figure it out on your own" Bonnie relaxes slightly. The prospect of just been left to her own devices to learn this all on her own was a scary one. Tansy has just reassured her that she is not on her own. Bonnie knew that in theory but hearing it from Tansy does a lot to help ease some of the stress of all this. It is very stressful. To know that something is changing in her and she has no one to talk to but her grandmother. But now she has Tansy too. "Think of Pure magic as the top of an umbrella" Tansy motions with her hands, drawing out an open umbrella with little sparks of magic. Bonnie leans closer to watch in awe. "Pure...up here" Tansy motions to the top of the umbrella. "And then...it trickles down, evolves due to time and cultures and 'spins-off' into other branches such a Traditional magic..." She motions to one of the bottom tips and then to another. "There are other branches....and some people now are only born with access to one of these....like you, a Traditional witch....but those that are born with Pure magic" Tansy moves her hand to the top of the umbrella.

"Can practice the branching paths" Bonnie realises. "Because you practice the source"

"Hmm that's right" Tansy swipes her hand through the magical umbrella and it disappears. She then sits at the table with Bonnie, crossing one leg over the other, leaning on the table. "You only need to worry about Traditional magic though" Tansy lowers her hand to tap a book. "So...History of Traditional Magic..." She pushes the book to Bonnie and then touches a second book. "And History of Pure magic" She pushes that one closer to her too. "That's where we'll start"

"Reading?" Bonnie asks, Tansy nods and hums.

"What?" She teases. "You thought this would be all wiggling fingers and magic sparks?"

"A little, yeah" Bonnie agrees and Tansy laughs before she leans closer to Bonnie.

"Before you can even think about using magic, you have to understand the fundamentals of it" Tansy then snorts and rolls her eyes at herself. "Geez, now I sound like McGonagall" She complains and rubs at the bridge of her nose. "Magic isn't just casting spells willy nilly. There are rules, consequences...before you can even attempt to cast spells, you need understand these things...." Bonnie sighs but understands. "You have to understand how your magic works, to know the mechanics of it, the limitations of it and know what will happen if you push too hard...."

"Okay" Bonnie agrees. "So once I've read these books...."

"Once you've read those books, I will take you to get a wand"

"A wand?" Bonnie asks her with a small frown.

"A wand is a great conduit for your magic" Tansy explains. "For Traditional witches, you can also use it as a small boost to your magic....because Traditional magic draws from the earth, it is based in nature and the energy you can take from it. As wands are made of wood, it's a great way to give a little extra when needed" Tansy reaches into the inside of her jacket and pulls her wand from the holster sewn into the lining. "Like this one" She holds up her wand for Bonnie to see.

"And I get one of these?" Bonnie asks. Tansy hums and nods.

"And every wand is different" She explains. "So no, you cannot borrow this one" Bonnie smirks a little, caught out. She just wanted to try. "I mean, technically you could use it but it wouldn't be a perfect fit..." She tucks her wand away again, adjusting her jacket. "We also don't like sharing..." She adds and shrugs. It's personal to an individual so of course wands are cherished in a way. It's something that stays with a witch or wizard from the time they are eleven until their deaths, usually. It's like an additional limb for her people. Tansy lets out a breath and leans back in her seat. "Look...Don't let this get in the way of your actual studies" Tansy warns her softly. "Or your actual life....You are in a unique position to find out how to make this work" It would be a good show to see if someone so tangled in the muggle world can still be a practising witch without kickback. If she can survive and live a relatively normal life, then it is proof that their two worlds are ready to evolve beyond secrecy.