Chapter 8

A/N: Miss ko na rin si Archie. 🥲

***

Sunlight was streaming through the blinds, and a smile tugged at the corner of her lips. It was the most restful night she had in weeks. But she was not complaining despite the recent severe lack of sleep because she still got the better end of the deal, getting to cherish every moment with her little bundle of cuteness.

Roxy opened her eyes, and a frown instantly replaced her smile.

The other side of the bed was empty. 

She almost groaned, not willing to part with the most comfortable mattress that the world had to offer. But the baby fever was still in full blast inside the household, and she couldn’t bear being apart with her infant longer than absolutely necessary.

She just exited the spacious room when she saw Manang Sally, who had an armful of fresh white linens. 

“Morning, Manang,” she approached the older woman. “Nasaan po sila?”

The helper greeted her with a warm smile. “Nasa balcony, ‘nak,” she answered. “Kain ka na. Nagluto akong creamy sopas.”

Her stomach began rumbling at the mere mention of food. “Sabay na po tayo, Manang,” she invited her.

“Nauna na kami. Medyo tinanghali ka, pero hayaan ka lang daw muna matulog,” the woman said kindly.

She smiled in return, a little embarrassed that she woke up late. She might be a guest in this huge mansion, but she still wanted to carry her weight around here. The kind helper excused herself, and Roxy let the gentle voice and cooing sounds lead her to the second story balcony.

“- and he said, ‘It isn’t a real rescue without Buzz Lightyear!’”

The small baby in his arms cooed, as if amazed by his father’s story.

She paused by the balcony door, watching father and son with a smile.

Archie booked a flight at the first sign that something was wrong, uni be damned. He was there every day since Aiden was born - feeding him, changing diapers, singing countless lullabies during what seemed the longest night of their lives. He made her smile when things were hard, cheered her on as they slowly figured things out. The adventure that was the last few weeks did not just make them partners - it made them the best of friends. And now there were only two days left before he returned to Boston.

“Oh, son, there’s our Sleeping Beauty,” she heard him whisper theatrically. “How do I look?”

Roxy grinned and sauntered over the breakfast spread, grabbing a grape before hurrying to the head of the table where Archie was seated. He was expertly carrying their baby in one arm while the other was spread open in welcome waiting for her.

She sat on his lap, and Archie immediately wrapped his free arm around her waist. Grinning, she bent low and pressed her nose to the baby’s neck. “Ang bango-bango naman talaga,” she murmured happily.

Archie laughed, but she knew that he also had it bad. While it didn't occur between them, they both agreed that when they saw Aiden, it was love at first sight.

“I’ll miss this every morning,” he sighed quietly. She sat up straight and gave him a sad smile. She put her left arm around his neck and gently ran her fingers through his hair. Still, she couldn’t let go of all contact with their baby, her right forefinger locked in his tiny left fist.

“Kami rin ni Aiden,” she told him. He pressed a swift kiss on her neck before shaking off the sad vibes. 

“How did you sleep, Mommy?” He asked smugly, perfectly knowing the answer.