Fights, Rearrangement, and... New Style?

Ella walked in after her father departed, and I ran up to her. I hugged her tight, "please don't cry. I don't like to see you sad."

"Ella."

We turn our heads and see my mother sitting, looking at us with an expression that made me uneasy. She made a gesture as if to say 'come'.

Ella stepped forward and I went to follow when, "Not you Alexis. You go amuse yourself, let mother talk with your step sister."

I looked to Ella for approval, almost wordlessly asking if she was okay with me leaving. Ella smiled a small and reassuring smile. Then she quickly and quietly uttered, "I'll meet up with you later and we'll go on a ride, sound good?"

I gave her an unsure nod, then a strong one. So, off I went. As I left, I heard Drizzella and Anastasia fighting...again. Those two couldn't get along if it would save their lives. Competing (pathetically), fighting, antagonizing, the list goes on.

Anyway, I decided to go out and brush the horses' manes, tails, and coats before we went riding. Besides, it is a rather calming activity. Major, Ella's horse' was a beautiful gray-ish white horse with dark hooves and a faded grayish mane. Whereas my horse, Diamond (I call her Dia for short), was a pearly white with a snowy mane and black hooves.

As I brush them I quietly hum, which turns into me softly singing. I am not allowed to sing around my mother, or step father, or Drizella, or Anastasia, or Ella by order of my mother. Ella and her father had heard me sing though. Ella had caught me doing one time in the garden and she got me to sing in front of her father too. Just once though. Mother claims my singing is obnoxious and loud.

A Dream is a Wish your heart makes

When you're fast asleep

In dreams you will lose

Your heartache

Whatever you wish for

You keep

Have faith in your dreams

and someday

Your rainbow will come shining through

No Matter how your heart is dreaming

If you keep on believing

The dreams that you wish

Will

Come

True...

I continued to hum the interlude but stop as I hear the stable door softly open, turning around to see Ella. I start running to hug her when I notice her usual room-brightening smile isn't there.

"Ella? Are you ok?"

She was silent... that isn't good. But before I could say anything she softly said, "your sisters are sharing my old room now...and your mother is moving us to the attic..."

"WHAT?! She can't just do that! She can't move us to the attic! She can't force you to give your room up! She can't--"

"Alexis. I offered it for them to share. Truthfully, I thought we would just switch, they move to our room and we move to theirs, but it seems that your mother wouldn't have it so."

I looked down, "I'm sorry Ella." I couldn't let mother ruin our day though, I just couldn't. And I also couldn't stop the small smile that inched onto my face. I slowly looked towards Ella, and then, "You need a hug!" Jumping up, Ella caught me, as I gave her a big full on hug. My legs around her waist and my arms around her neck as she held me up.

Even she couldn't stop the chuckle that escaped her lips. It was wonderful, I had managed to help, even if it was just a little. It was an accomplishment.

Later, after a short ride, Ella and I walked back into the house. Mother met us with a forced smile, "Alexis, darling, your things are in your new quarters, as I'm sure Ella told you of the new arrangement." This damped our moods a bit as our smiles got smaller. "It is only temporary dear. And, as your step father is away and Drizzella and Anastasia have their lessons, I will need the two of you to attend to more work attending to the house." I wasn't sure I liked how she phrased that...

With that she sent Ella up to the attic and turned to me, "you will need something to keep your mop of hairs out of your face." With that she turned and headed for her bedroom.

I ran up to the attic, where apparently me and Ella would stay now and I saw her sitting with rats, or mice...not sure which. "Ella, what--who--what are you doing?"

She looked up confused until a look of realization fell on her, "right, introductions. Alexis, these are my friends, Jacqueline and Gus-Gus. Jacqueline, Gus-Gus, this is my younger sister Alexis."

They seemed to almost be helpers, friends, personalities, just smaller. I did a small curtsy with a nod, "pleased to meet your acquaintance."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over the next week, Ella and I grew closer, which I didn't think was possible. I learned about her mother and fairy godmothers. Ella taught me how to paint and started to teach me a bit about dancing as well as how to to my hair in braids. Ella learned of my fear of yelling and sensitive hearing--which was the cause of my aversion to loud noise--. I told her about the books I read and she told me of the books she read. I told Ella things about me I had never told anyone or that I hid from mother. Things like how I didn't care nor pay attention in political or governmental or parliamentarian classes. I'm eight for goodness sake (hey that rhymed), I don't care about that stuff, at least too much or enough to take classes on it. Things like how I looked up to her and had grown kind of attached. How I could tend to occasionally be 'clingy' or 'attached' to someone I looked up to, or was essentially, someone like Ella.

However, my mother and older sisters began to treat us as less like family and more like hired servants...

One night there was a particularly hard time. It was too cold to be in the attic so we settled for by the fire. As I started to drift I looked towards Ella, my only true family. "I'm sorry." She looked shocked so I elaborated... "for everything," kind of...

"Why are you sorry? You do not control them and you are not like them."

"But I came with them, I am related to them by blood. And I am sorry that this is how they have come to treat you. You are amazing and I love you and I can't fathom why they treat you so."

Ella then had a small sad, yet heartwarming smile. She hugged me, bringing me closer, as to help us both stay warm and a comfort. She wiped my cheek, and only then was I aware that I had softly begun to cry. "It isn't your fault. If they had never come, we would have never met. We wouldn't be sisters. And I don't think either of use would like to imagine that. Besides, we still have father. I mean, think of all the wonderful things you will be able to read about once he brings you the journal? And anyway, we must"

"Have courage and be kind." We uttered together. Her mother must have been wonderful and there is no question to her being better than my own. Ella had told me of her mothers dying wish and I promised Ella, "We will both keep that promise, because I promise it too. We will do it together."

Then, a knock sounded at the door. We shared a look of curiosity, one of 'who would be knocking at this time?'

I got up so that she could and we both headed towards the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

It is gonna emotional...

Anyway, thoughts?

Questions?

SnipsT Signing Off

Bye Lovelies