Meeting the Apprentices

I wake up hearing the bells ringing. Quickly getting up I help Ella with breakfast as Madame walks in. "I thought breakfast was ready." She is in her expensive robe that contrasts greatly to the garments of me and my sister.

"It is Madame."

"We are only mending the fire now."

Madame strides over to the table where Anastasia and Drizzella are already seated, "In the future, can we not be called until the work is done?"

Ella stands and walks over, "As you wish."

I stand as well, having finished and walk over to pour the drinks as Ella gets the food.

Madame then speaks up again, "Ella what is that on your face?" 

Ella places the food down with a questioning look, "Madame?"

"It's ash from the fireplace." I didn't even realize. Does that mean I have ash on my face too?

"Do clean yourself up." Madame looks disgusted.

"You'll get cinders in our tea."

"Mother, Alexis is covered in them too!"

"Clean yourself child. Honestly, after all I do. After all I've done."

"I've got a new name for her!" I look up to see Drizzella pointing at Ella, as Ella scrubs her face with a cloth. "Cinderwench."

"I couldn't bear to look, so dirty," Anastasia says, gesturing in my direction behind her. "Oh! Dirty Ella!"

They all laugh at that and I start to get mad. "Cinder Ella! That's what we'll call you!" Ella looks baffled and hurt and I am glaring hard at those I used to call sisters and mother.

"Oh girls. You're too clever." That's it! They all giggle obnoxiously as Ella sets a place for me and her. "Who are these for? Is there people we've forgotten?"

Ella puts on a smile and looks at madame, "It's my and Alexis' places."

Madame sneers and glances at me before turning to Ella, "Oh. It seems too much to expect you to prepare breakfast, serve it, and still sit with us. Wouldn't you prefer to eat when all the work is done Ella?" with fake sweet before hardening her tone and voice, "or should I say, Cinderella?" It is silent as I bite my tongue from lashing out. Ella then hurriedly picks up our places, as Madame starts to laugh. When Ella exits, I turn harshly to Madame and stalk towards the table.

"How dare you! She has done nothing but been kind and you treat her as though she were nothing more than dirt on the bottom of your shoe! Ella --"

SMACK

I was cut off by a harsh pain in my cheek and the force knocking me to the ground. I place my hand where the pain is and slowly look up. Madame is wiping her hand, before putting a cloth in it, like she is about to grab something gross. I wince as she grabs my face harshly with the clothed hand and speaking in a low threat, "Don't you ever raise your voice at me. You should probably take a new name as well," glancing at the other two, "girls?"

"Trash Rat?"

"Yeah! She is dirty and looks like a kicked animal and she is small and weak!"

Harshly turning to me and tightening her grip as I wince again, "Well then, Trash Rat, get going." She harshly releases me, throwing me to the floor again.

Tears gather in my eyes as I rush down where Ella went, hurrying faster when I heard a crash. I come in to see Ella crying, picking up broken plate pieces, and looking at her reflection. She turns at hearing a sniffle, my sniffle, and gasps at me. We embrace in a hug before sharing a look.