⓺ 『 Hot Cider 』

Rain's upcoming soccer game was just less than a day away, and AJ was coming. AJ! She knew for sure now that she could not afford to screw this shit up, not like that catastrophic practice on Tuesday. 

     But if her vitality ascended anything like it had yesterday when she spent the evening with the flaxen-haired cowgirl, running low on athletic fervour was not something she would have to worry about anytime soon. Something about AJ's presence fuelled her tank to the brim, she could run to the stars if she wanted to. 

     It was rare for Rain to meet a person like that--someone who could keep up with her. Someone that saw her. There really would never be another AJ, and Rain both despised and treasured that fact.

    Lost in anticipation, Dash didn't notice her own quickening pace as she sauntered down the hall, chest up, lapping up her walk to the Cafeteria like she owned the school. She sought out Piper's colourful curls  and used them to map her way toward the group. 

     Sitting at their usual spot--a booth in the far right-corner next to the bay windows--was Pie and Fae. "Rainy!" Piper screeched, and Dash's embarrassment bloomed for a heartbeat or two as a young gentlemen with a pointed, upturned nose and thin-framed glasses glared at them, and then sank back into his laptop with a crisp focus. Okay, dude, this isn't a library, geez... She then mirrored his scowl with an equal determination before turning back to her peers with a friendly, "Hey Piper, hi Fae."

     "Hi Rain," Fae completed their exchange of greetings before Rain sat herself down across from them and queried, "Where the hell's everyone else today?"

     Fae spoke first, something that never failed to surprise Rain whenever it happened, especially when contending against Piper's rapid mouth, "Tiana stayed behind in Philosophy for a bit to finish up--" the timid femme started, but was promptly interrupted by Rain's next question: 

     "Why? Isn't that her elective?" 

     "Yes, but uhm, Rain, this is Tiana we're talking about," Fae reminded her. 

     Piper took over next with a speedy articulation that contrasted heavily against Fae's soft mumbling, "Yep, that's Tiana alright! And Rachel's still on the hunt for that silly tulip floss--flower string?--THE PINK CLOTHING THINGY!" 

     Fae piped up again, though still hardly even a murmur, "Turkish-rose thread--" "...YES THAT! Thanks Fae-Fae," Piper pulled her into a timely hug, causing the wallflower to simper at the floor. The pink-haired goof then fulfilled the rest of her story as if all members would leave her behind at the booth and fly away on a live pegasus to some magical place called Ponyville in the next few seconds, "...and AJ is on her way I think! You beat her this time Rain!" 

     Rain mused at the comment and pulled out a brown paper bag from her backpack. She rolled open the top and reached for a thick protein bar and some mini-snickers. An interesting snack for sure, but so unapologetically Rainbow. 

    "Hey y'all!" 

     Speak of the devil, Dash thought, shooting an eager look over her shoulder just in time to catch those wild olive irises she depended on so indefatigably. AJ's unreadable pupils pulled away as she approached the booth with a modest grin. "Let me guess, Tiana's studyin' and Rach is seekin' revenge?" AJ hypothesized. 

     How did she--

    Dash felt her body tense up as the stockier cowgirl assumed the seat closest to her in the booth across from the other two girls. Those cushioned grey benches suddenly seemed much smaller than before... Seriously, could AJ have sat any closer?

     The smell of warm apple cider sent Rain's mouth watering as AJ pressed the tan-coloured paper cup against her lips for a sip of it's sweetness. "This one still ain't as good as ours though," AJ noted and placed the drink on the spruce countertop. Rain wouldn't argue against that claim, she would shower in the Apple-families cider if she could--that stuff obliterated Earthquest's lame dupe's to grains any day. 

     "Ooh, can I try?!" Piper beamed, not waiting for a response. She sputtered the sip over her pink tank-top immediately, mouthing the words "HOT!" and fanning herself with fast-flapping hands. 

    "Oh my..." Fae remarked, retrieving a napkin from her pastel satchel and handing it to her ruffled friend. "Thanks Fae, you're the best," Piper recovered quickly. "You okay sugar-cube?" AJ inclined forward with concern. Rain stifled a chuckle, snorting, "You gonna give us a score Piper?"

     "What? Oh yeah! I'm great! And the cider, I love it! AJ you've got yourself some competition! But don't worry, Granny Smith's is still the best, as always," she replied in her usual, bubbly tone. "A bit too sweet for me," AJ commented, and turned to see Rain with her fingers already curled around the cup. 

     AJ swiped the drink from the athlete's grasp. She sure has a habit of doing that doesn't she... Rain huffed to herself. 

     The blonde farm-girl put the cup back on the table and surprised Rain with a sudden chokehold as she noogied up her chocolatey mane, grumbling comically, "Each sip from you is an added chore this afternoon!"

     "What?! But you let Piper try some!" Rain protested, swatting her away at the forearms and mirthfully punching her in the gut. "Oouh! Hey! Watch it Rainbow," AJ flicked the pride pin on Dash's vest before proceeding, "Piper ain't gonna steal three quarters of the drink like you do. Yer addicted to that stuff worse than the darn wasps!" 

     "Girls...be careful," Fae warned apprehensively, still discomfited at the sight of these physical brawls. The gentle soul understood the harmlessness of it all when it came to AJ and Rain, but her instincts dissented against such rough behaviour regardless. Piper loved it on the other hand, cursed with another round of the giggles. 

     AJ retreated finally, leaving a matted bush atop Rain's now crabby face and sending a wave of relief through sweet Fae. 

    Rain unwrapped her protein bar and mashed it behind her cheeks. AJ retrieved a half-eaten sandwich from the Ziploc in her pocket and did the same. For Piper, another muffin, and Fae, a Quinoa salad. 

     Though the break would've been twice as enjoyable without the absence of the other two, the four settled so naturally at their beloved booth conversed in an ample gaiety, in a flow so inborn it was almost easier than breathing. 

     Man, Dashie loved this.