⓵⓹『 Pens Snap 』

Just like that, AJ was torn from Rain all over again. A multistory wall of welded bricks, thick with the acetous rank of desolation, forged heavier and loftier with each interaction had. 

     Rainbow's confusion with the note left her mildly discomfited, and then, AJ's unpleasant development of strange habits in the aftermath of the accident left her discouraged. But this--what happened after their night at the Crystal Empire last night--left her swept in monstrous tangles of both and everything in-between. 

     The young athlete spent the entire night pondering about every single word that was said. She reflected upon the events of the evening, the very seconds just prior to AJ's sudden shift in demeanor, and then, when she was forced to leave. 

     The brunettes frame laid flat across her mattress, mirroring that of a starfish. Other than the wiggling of her fingers--which she could not prevent since she still possessed an unbounded energy--the girl remained completely motionless, eyes screwed into her popcorn ceiling in unabated dissection of memory. 

     Either AJ has gone completely mad, thought Rain, ...or I must've said something...

     But what word could have been so earth-shaking to the cowgirl that it had ruined their entire night? Rain had been doing a spectacular job the whole rest of the time just being herself, doing everything possible to ensure the farmer made no mistakes in regard to absorbing her undeniable awesomeness. She had been almost certain that she completely knocked it out of the park! And she was almost home-free too, just about to conclude the night seamlessly--until the very last minute, where she spoke her last sentence, and AJ kicked her out. 

     "Come on, was I wrong to say she was avoiding me?" Rainbow grilled the unchangeable abyss of her lonely room, and when she was (obviously) met with no reply, answered her own rhetorical query, "SHE WAS! That asshole avoided me so much I started to think I was a ghost!"

     She cupped her eyes with a double-slap and pulled her fingers down along the skin of her cheeks. The brunette hated when things didn't make sense. She hated when she couldn't enjoy time with AJ--and most of all, she hated when the two damn peeves conspired against her and stole the cowgirl away for reasons that didn't make sense. 

     As the night bore on into morning, Rain curved her spine into a fetal-position and traced her gaze along the pictures plastered across her wall; A group-shot of her soccer team, another of her and her friends, then separate snaps of just her and a peer, a family member, or her pet tortoise, Tank. Her eyes halted at a photograph of her and AJ from highschool, cheek-to-cheek, grinning against this acrid future they would come to face now. 

     It doesn't make sense...she reflected in a muddling of grief and frustration, She's never been this pissed at me before. And never for this fucking long...

     It was in that very instant, Rainbow finally closed her eyes and decided; I am going to figure out what's wrong. 

     Whether she likes it or not. 

___

When Rain entered the classroom for Health and Wellness the following day, her eyelids still hung draped halfway in exhaustion. She had hardly managed to attain a mere wink of sleep the night prior, and this was demonstrated to a tee through an inflated yawn. The athlete earned concerned glances from her peers and professor as she entered in a half-daze, twenty-four minutes late, limping tardily towards her usual seat and settling herself at the multi-desk. 

     At first, she had assumed that--as was more common than not lately--AJ hadn't shown up. Her seat was vacant and the time had surpassed that which would be a reasonable one to arrive (other than for her, herself of course). Dash realized she was mistaken however, when the professor asked a question, and AJ responded.