a mule for a black market cantaloupe ring

Jess would never admit it but as he drove into Stars Hollow he was hit with an overwhelming sensation of coming home. Philadelphia was great and it was where he belonged but the small town of Stars Hollow was always filled with a nostalgia that was unmatched. It used to make him want to kick himself but with his reconciliation with Rory, the pleasantness of the past was the only thing that surfaced. The townspeople had become happy to see him now that he had grown away from that angry kid and had begun to help where he could.

Things had gotten crazy at the publishing company and Jess hadn't been back since Luke and Lorelai's wedding, which was six months ago. He pulled up next to the diner and spent some time dragging his bag out of the back seat, but before he made it to the door, Luke came running out to meet him.

"Hey! I wasn't expecting you so soon."

"Yeah, I got away early."

"Great, great," Luke said bouncing on his feet. He paused and then let out an airy huff-like laugh while he pulled Jess into a brief hug. Even after he pulled away though, he lingered outside.

"Are we going in or what?"

"Yeah, yeah," Luke looked into the window and then back at Jess, "yeah," and lead the way into the diner.

When they got in there, everyone avoided their gaze (including Miss Patty and Babbette, which was beyond odd) and it hadn't slipped past Jess that Luke was acting weird.

"I think we'll just go straight upstairs," Luke said louder than necessary.

"Alright," Jess said equally as loud while shooting Luke a weird look.

Just as they made it to the bottom of the stairs there was a loud crash from the kitchen which caused the few patrons of the diner to get up and Luke to push past Jess back into the diner.

"Just go on up Jess, nothing to see."

Jess just kind of stood there dumbstruck. He heard muffled voices and then a, "This is so stupid," from a familiar female voice, "Jess, get out here."

"Rory?", he asked confusedly, dropping his bag and moving back around the counter towards the kitchen, "You okay?," he asked, seeing Luke helping her up.

"I'm fine."

"You sure?," Luke interrupted, "because I don't mind driving to the hospital."

"I'm sure Luke. No trips to Hartford necessary," she said moving him out of the way to get to Jess, and revealing a pregnant belly.

"Hi! Wow!," he said accepting a hug from her, "Should I be reporting you to Taylor for stealing his cantaloupe's or do you have something to tell me?"

"I do have something to tell you. I'm a mule for a black market cantaloupe ring."

Jess laughed, relieved she was keeping it light as his head was swimming a bit.

"What were you doing in the kitchen?," he asked in a hushed tone.

Rory laughed a little ashamed and tucked her hair behind her ear, "Hiding from you."

"Oh-"

"It was just that I hadn't told you about the baby yet and I was expecting you to come a little later so I thought I had more time. I don't know. We both surprised each other today. It was a split second decision that backfired and it was obviously needless," she explained speaking abnormally fast, even for her.

"Ah okay, okay," Jess cut in, feeling the pressure of a deeper conversation he wasn't ready for looming.

"Now you're sure you're okay?," Luke cut in again.

"Yes Luke I'm fine but I'm going to head out. You're still coming for dinner right?," Rory asked, directing the question to Jess.

"'Course but don't leave on my account."

"Oh no, I've got places to be," she said, waving away his nonsense, "I will see you both later."

The bell over the door clanged as she walked out, bag and coat in hand.

Jess, having watched her walk out, turned around to glare at Luke.

"Seriously? You hid her in the kitchen?"

"She went in there of her own accord."

"Right, because Rory Gilmore often goes into kitchens voluntarily."

"I was shocked as well."

Jess rolled his eyes and sat down on one of the stools at the counter.

"Pregnant, huh?" Jess said, his mix of emotions on the subject trying to reveal themselves on his face.

"Yup," Luke said with a nod of his head.

"And you didn't tell me because..."

"Because Rory wanted to tell you herself," Luke continued with finality.

"And how did that work out for her. Or me for that matter."

"I'm going with not so great, but not disastrously," Luke said scrunching up his face as if he was trying to read Jess's expression.

This elicited another eye-roll from Jess.

"Do you know the father?"

"Yes," Luke looked away from Jess at some receipts he was sorting.

"What's he like?"

"I don't like him. You would hate him. He says he cares about Rory but he's never around and he's an idiot and a coward."

"Huh," Jess responded, staring off thoughtfully, "and how is she?"

"From what I can see she's doing alright. Her mom's more worried than I am. I think if you want a good answer to that question you would have to go straight to the source."

"I see."

There was a pause.

"Uh, Jess?" Luke said.

"Yeah?"

"You've got some admirers," Luke chuckled out as he jerked his head, causing Jess to look behind him.

When he turned, he saw Babette and Miss Patty waving excitedly. Jess turned back and quickly raised his eyebrows at Luke before moving towards the two women and greeting them warmly.

He had just gotten through asking Babette how her garden was doing, as he helped her clean it up and plant some new flowers last spring, and was just about to ask Patty about the leak in the dance studio ceiling he repaired when there was loud thump from the bottom of the stairs and Luke's loud voice calling out,

"Jess, get your crap out of here!"

It dawned on Jess that he had left his bag at the bottom of the stairs. The phrase that Luke uttered and the volume at which it was communicated was enough for Jess's nostalgia to set back in.