4: Blight Mansion - Amity

"..Mother, I'm home!" I called, dropping my stuff by the door. There was no answer. Maybe she was out..? If she was, maybe I'd be able to stay with Luz longer...

   I explored the house, looking everywhere that Mother would usually be in. She was really nowhere to be found! I was about to open my phone to text Luz using emojis, but—

   "Amityyy!! Where've you been?" Emira called, running over to me and then frantically hugging me. "H-hey..Emira..do you know where mom is..?"

Wait. I shook my head.

"A-actually, never mind, I don't want to know where she is anyways.."

  Emira glanced over my outfit. I was wearing small cat pajamas that clearly didn't fit me. "Damn girl, where really have you been?"

  My face flushed. I was wearing Luz's pajamas since I didn't really have a change of clothes.

  "Um, well, they're Luz's clothes. But, that doesn't matter, now does it..?" I talked quickly. "Yes it does! You were at your girlfriend's houuuuse!! >:3" Emira sang, beaming at me and spinning me around cutely.

  "Okay, okay!" I cried out when the spinning was done. "But..where really is mom? Its crazy to hear, I know, but..I'm actually worried about her."

  It was true.

  Even though I probably meant nothing to her, and we've gotten into more quarrels than you can count...I still like her!

Not love, though. We're not that close..besides, she doesn't even want me to date Luz!

Emira peered out the window almost longingly before responding.

  "Oh, mom? She's out with dad on a..date..? I-I..ju-just..l-listen, I don't really know either. She and dad got all dolled up and then left without a word." She explained, stammering a bit along the way.

  I stared at her shockingly. Mom and dad almost never go on dates! What's the sudden occasion? Maybe a birthday..an anniversary?

  "Wh-?! D-do you know why?" I asked. "Oh, i wish I knew," Emira began. "I tried asking, but mom just waved her hand to dismiss my question and ran off like she was running away from her problems.."

  I went to sit on the guest couch, holding my head in my hands. "I really could have stayed with Luz.." I mumbled to myself.
  "Hey, it's okay!" Emira consoled, walking over to me and patting my back. She sat next to me, softly pecking me on the cheek.

(IN A SIBLING WAY, NOT IN A LOVE WAY.>:/)

Emira then wrapped her lanky arms around my small body.

  "Well, Mittens," she spoke quietly into my ear, calling me my signature nickname, "maybe you could go back! And if mom comes back home before you do, then I'll just tell her you..went to the Night Market! She'll go searching there for you for hours."

  I loved that Emira was joking in this moment to lighten the mood. It really helped, and I let out a small, soft laugh. "Thanks Emira. You don't know how happy I am that you and Edric are my siblings." I smile.
  "Of course! :3 Anything to help a tomato like you!" Emira joked again.

  "Wha-?! Tomato?! I'm not a tomato!..Uuunless I'm around Luz..B-BUT THATS NOT THE POINT!!" I stammered, whapping Emira on the head with my hands.

  She was right, I really was a tomato..or at least I was just then, smacking Emira hysterically while yelling about Luz and batata and all that.

  I never really get moments like this with her, because I'm busy being the top student of the grade..no, sorry, of the whole school.

  It's not like I enjoy being better than everyone else. I actually think it's stupid, that grade hierarchy thing, where better grades means better than everyone.

  Of course, mom loves it. She loves that I'm better than everyone else, that I shine brighter. But I hate it. And if I wasn't better than everyone else, well..I don't know what she'd do, and I don't wanna find out anytime soon.

  I finally stop smacking Emira and hug her again.    

  "Well, I think I should get going to Luz's house. Make sure to cover for me, okay?" I laugh.

  Emira laughs too. "Yeah, of course! You went out to the Night Market to get poison to assassinate Emperor Belos!!"

  We both giggle hysterically, then I get up to go into my room with my book-bag, to prepare for my little trip!! :3