Honor Walk

Charlotte walked the hallways of the hospital on her way to Freen's room while thinking about what Engfa said. Engfa wanted to go with her to Freen's room but Charlotte said that Heidi might suspect something.

Charlotte stood infront of the room and peeked on the small window before knocking and then opened it. Heidi is already inside talking to Freen whose face looks sullen but her face lit up when she saw Charlotte.

"Dr. Austin!"

Freen said while smiling. Charlotte smiled at her and looked at Heidi as if asking for permission. Heidi just smiled a little and nodded.

Charlotte walked to the side of the bed.

"How are you feeling?"

Charlotte asked Freen while looking at her. Charlotte didn't miss the opportunity to assess Freen's physical state. She looks abnormally pale and her lips are almost the shade of purple.

"Fine now!"

Freen said happily while looking at Charlotte with a wide smile. Charlotte looked at Heidi curiously and Heidi just shrugged.

"I'll just do my rounds. I'll be back to check on you."

Heidi said while looking at Freen. Freen just look at her with a cold stare and nodded. Charlotte creased her forehead but did not say anything. Charlotte nodded at Heidi and waited for her to leave before sending a message to Engfa.

"I picked that watch myself."

Freen said while pointing at the watch on Charlotte's wrist. Charlotte smiled at her.

"You have good taste then. Thank you."

Charlotte said while smiling. Freen's eyes shined as she smiles.

"I wanted to be a doctor, just like you but father said I should be more like him."

Freen said while playing with the edge of the bed sheets. Charlotte sat beside her.

"You can be whatever you want to be."

Charlotte assured her but Freen shook her head without looking at her.

"I can't even be friends with anyone. I only have friends from other places because my father doesn't want me to be friends with... well. People with less money."

Freen said while bowing her head low. Charlotte felt sad for the young girl who is just her sister's age.

"Well, atleast you still have friends, right? Even if it's long distance?"

Charlotte tried to lift the kid's spirit. She looked at Charlotte and bit her lower lip. She looked at her as if wanting to say something before bowing her head low. She mumbled something but Charlotte was not able to hear it.

"Hmm? Did you say something?"

Charlotte asked. Freen just played with her sheets again. Charlotte just gave her time thinking that she's not yet in the mood to talk about personal things.

"Yes but..."

Freen said. Charlotte touched her shoulder to encourage her to talk. Freen looked at her in the eyes. Tears are starting to well up on her round eyes. Charlotte can't help but hug her remembering her own sister.

"They always leave me."

She said while sobbing on Charlotte's shoulders. Charlotte stroked her back and just waited for her to continue. Charlotte saw Engfa from the small window and motioned for her to wait. She nodded before disappearing.