𝟕 | 𝐝𝐨𝐮𝐛𝐭

"And another point for Husk and [Y.N]! Yeesh, Pentious, you're pretty bad at this, hm?" Niffty exclaimed, drawing up the now 7th line on the chalk board, Sir Pentious' side remaining empty, without any won games.

The aforementioned man scoffed, closing his eyes proudly. "I am only doing the gentlemanly thing and letting the lady win, of course." He smirked, earning a chuckle from the three others, which made Pentious roll his eyes. "More importantly, this is all in good fun..."

The angel walked up to Pentious and patted him on the shoulder comfortingly, offering him a warm smile. "Everyone has their off days, I'm sure you'll do better next time."

Almost immediately, his gaze softened up, his tense body relaxing at her touch. The guard that he often held seemed to melt away as his eyes followed her movements, a smile appearing on his face even though he wanted to look proud at the moment. It's a development he had noticed from the beginning, the effect this angel girl had on him, but it wasn't unwelcome. On the contrary, he enjoyed this feeling, this sudden vulnerability that he could share with another person.

"It got pretty late, the others are probably back by now." Said Husk, glancing up at the clock as he organized the balls in a special tray and picked up his beer, leaving to go downstairs. "I'll see ya'll later."

A sudden blush appeared on Pentious' cheeks, realizing that he has been staring at the angel for an uncomfortable amount of time, he bid his goodbyes as well, slithering off to his room. That left the angel alone with the housekeeper, but she noticed her eyes fixed on the floor, an arm reaching back to grab one of the needles she always carried around.

Much to [Y.N]'s dismay, she went off to run after a tiny creature, which left her alone by the lobby. She took this chance to explore the hotel, since there was a small game area, who knew what more she could find?

And so, she wandered, admiring the different artworks she found on the walls: portraits, paintings, pictures, posters. One in particular struck her interest, a painted portrait of the Morningstar family, depicting a very young Charlie, and who she assumed was Lucifer and Lilith, all with faraway sad looking faces.

Since the bane of her existence she has known about Lucifer, vague stories that would change ever so slightly every time she would ask about him. A dreamer, a traitor, a deviant. She never knew what to believe, but she chose to trust Him and believe that whatever he did, must have only been deserving of what he got in return. The Lord wouldn't curse him with this fate, Hell, if he didn't do something truly horrible. She didn't even want to think about it, but still, her curiosity grew.

As she ran her hand through the painting, dust lingering on her fingers, she sighed deeply.

"Quite curious, isn't it?" A chipper, static voice sounded behind her, frightening the poor angel as she turned around to look at the source.

"Oh! Alastor, it's just you. I didn't hear you coming." She exhaled, her wings relaxing since they were ready to fly off, like a scared dove. "What's curious?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Isn't it funny, how an angel was punished for their disobedience? And here I thought, God only creates things that are perfect and pure, doesn't this place contradict this?" He stared at the painting, particularly at the king of Hell, then turned his head towards the angel. "Hell is full of wayward sinners who have done wrong in their life, even though all these people are technically God's creations."

"Ever since Lucifer offered the forbidden fruit to Eve... evil found its way to Earth." She spoke slowly, reciting the story she heard many times before. "The Lord couldn't control th-"

The demon cut her off, stepping forward to watch the angel's face closer. "Couldn't he? But he created Lucifer too, right? And Eve, she was the one who accepted it in the first place, doesn't it mean those creations of God are flawed?" He leaned forward, getting into her personal space as he felt her heart beat getting faster.

"She was tricked by Lucifer," the angel defended, "she didn't know any better."

Alastor played with his cane, leaning on it as he scratched his chin dramatically. "Do you forget why she was tricked in the first place? Your God chose to not tell Eve about the fruit, only Adam, wouldn't that make it His fault?"

Those two words seemed to have struck a nerve for the girl, as Alastor noticed the twitch of her hand and her wings drooping ever so slightly. His smirk grew wider, having earned a reaction he has been waiting to see.

"And what about you, angel?" He continued.

"Huh?"

"Does that mean you are flawed, as well? That you have the capability to make mistakes, even though you were created to depict the image of perfection itself, the incapability to go against God."

His hand cupped her cheek, bringing her face ever so close to his as he stared into her eyes, enjoying every second of torment that he caused her. In return, she looked into his eyes, looking for answers to the sudden myriad questions that flooded her mind, questions she never thought of before but ones that confused her so, for she had no answers. And for the first time in her existence, she felt doubt. 

The radio demon's smile seemed to grow as he watched her determined expression turn into one of uncertainty, his nails unwillingly digging into her skin slightly, causing the angel some discomfort.

"Do you not grow weary of your endless obedience and servitude, angel?" He leaned closer to her, whispering into her ear. "Why remain shackled to rules when you could be free?"

"Stop." She answered with a stern voice, giving him a push so the two would gain some distance between each other. She turned her back around to Alastor, shaking her head. "I'll see you another time." 

And without any other words, she left. But, despite the rejection Alastor just experienced, he couldn't feel more alive. Watching her walk away from him down the corridor, a big menacing smile on his face as the image of the angel's uncertainty filled him with more joy than he has felt in a really long while.

The angel, on the other hand did not know how to deal with the emotion she has never felt before, it felt wrong, she didn't want to be feeling it. So when she almost bumped into Angel Dust in the hallway, she was most happy that she could distract herself from this foreign feeling.

"Hey, girly, we were about to start doing some exercise downstairs, do you want to join us?" The spider demon raised his eyebrow when the angel's face turned from a mixed look of emotions to that of joy.

"Of course! Let's go." She immediately followed the man as they walked down the stairs to the lobby.

Turning her head around to see if Alastor was still standing where she left him, she was met with an empty hallway, which brought relief to her in a way.

She sat by the couches were everyone was gathered up, Charlie already explaining the exercise they would be doing for the day, something to understand each other's boundaries, which [Y.N] found to be a great idea. For Husk and Angel, though, it seemed to be a funny subject.

As she watched everyone tell their stories, laugh together and comment on others, she couldn't help but smile, the atmosphere giving her a feeling of peace. But her thoughts flashed back to the interaction she just had with the radio demon, the same questions filling her mind again. The way he accused her of being flawed, even though she had never done anything wrong, following His word carefully and thoroughly each time.

Still, the doubt lingered in her mind.