Hope Is A Ration (And We Are Running Out)

“So, been dying to ask- where the hell is Korea?”

     The provinces were gathered in one of the trenches, all together for the first time since they had been driven across the river, due to their being busy with scouting, camp chores, and training the new recruits. These past few days had been allowing Chagang to recover from his constant pounding headache from the overwhelming rainbow of battle. Now it was returning.

     “Great question!” South Pyongan exclaimed. When North Chungcheong looked at her to continue, she picked at her nails, ignoring him.

    “Ah’m worried,” Hae whined, buzzing with anxious green as she clambered over Hwang to look over the edge of their resting place. “Do ya think South got him?”

    “Korea wouldn’t let that happen again,” North Pyongan soothed her.

    Chagang looked to Kangwon. It should be him reassuring their cousin. But right now he was barely conscious, lids even heavier than usual as he nodded off on Gangwon’s thin shoulder. He had been pushing himself too hard over the last few weeks, barely sleeping as he met runners for supplies, carried wounded, and patched them up. He never showed any colour when he did this, only assurance on his face. And grey when he lost someone.

     “Korea shouldn’t have let it happen in the first place,” North Hamgyong grunted, and irritation spiked from SH, though she remained smiling.

    “We’re all really sorry about that,” Sang said, her shade of guilt matching the province on her face.

     Every time one of the southern provinces had learned that Korea’s eye patch wasn’t an aesthetic choice, but a necessity, they had been horrified to learn about what their half of Korea had done.

   “You didn’t know,” SH reminded her kindly. “And if you apologize again, Korea will make you dig latrines.”

    It was his new favourite threat, reserved mostly for South Pyongan. Though he had not directed it or any others towards her since she had fallen in the river.

    Chagang looked at her cousin, who had her legs draped across North Pyongan’s lap. Her spirits seemed to be recovering from the traumatic event. When SH would seek her out to keep her busy, spots of colour would even appear in her suffocating pall of ash and tangerine. At least the latter had faded somewhat.

     “Korea would have to actually be here to do that,” Gyeong pointed out. “Which he’s not.”

   “Did Comrade Kwon-mu say where he went?” Hae asked, still peering out of the trench, still radiating headache-inducing olive.

     “I already informed you that he simply said he was on a secret mission,” Hwang said.

     “Uwaaaaa.” Hae flopped back down, pouting. “What if he’s not back in time for his birthday? Ah’m gettin’ him a present.”

    “What is it?” Gyeonggi asked.

     “Not tellin’. You might steal mah idea.” Hae remained quiet as they all stared expectantly at her. She retained her silence, which meant that she hadn’t decided what she would be getting him yet. Otherwise she would have immediately blurted it out.

     “Speakin’ a’ secret missions-“ SJ started.

    “-ain’t Korea bein’ a bit tight-lipped lately?” NJ finished.

    “Or is he jus’-“ SJ made a choked noise as she and her sister exchanged looks, shame wafting from them both. With an effort, the Southern Jeolla finished her own sentence. “-like that now?”