Thinking Of You

“Comrade North Hamgyong, another wave of refugees arrived. What should we do with them?”

    “Have you interrogated them?”

     Jung Kye-suk nodded, blowing a spike of short hair off her forehead. She’d chopped it all off at some point. It looked like shit, and North Hamgyong had told her that to her face.

    “Three suspicious persons detained, one confirmed infiltrator executed.”

    “Ro Ki-nam,” Jo Tal-gong snorted. “Bastard tried to get me to go south with him before the war. I know he wouldn’t come crawling back now.”

     “Good.” There had been more and more attempted infiltrations from the enemy as they slithered their way towards Chongjin.

    North Hamgyong didn’t have time to tell Jung to send the refugees north, as someone ran up the hill yelling his name.

    “North Hamgyong, sir!” Han Gang-seok of the Democratic Party screeched to a halt in front of him before doubling over, panting for several seconds.

     Jung and Jo both shook their heads, clucking and snorting respectively.

    “What the fuck is it, man?!” North Hamgyong demanded, shaking him.

   That got the bastard to regain his breath.

     “Runner from the fr-front line, sir,” he urgently panted. “The reactionaries’ First Corps is almost here! Our men are being pushed back, the enemy could be here as soon as tonight.”

    Ssi-bal. “And why the fuck are you the one telling me this?”

    “Everyone is preparing to defend the city, sir. It’s difficult with the bombing.”

    “The refugees, Comrade North Hamgyong?” Jung prompted. “Should I start evacuating them?”

    North Hamgyong clenched his jaw. “Are the Americans with them?” he demanded of Han, ignoring her.

    “No, sir.” The Democratic man shook his head. “The 7th Infantry Division and the… uh, 1st Mar- Marine-?”

    “The fucking Yanks!” the province barked, and he flinched.

    “Yes, sir! The Yanks are still quartered near Lake Changjin. Comrade Kim Kwon-chol says they must be prioritizing trying to flank Command in Headquarters.”

   And Headquarters had probably sent out everyone but the sure-to-be paltry reserves to initiate the counteroffensive. Fuck. Those Chinese he’d been hearing about had better be worth their damn salt.

     “They won’t make it,” Jung said confidently, sounding so much like his stupid sister he wanted to hit her. “The cold front isn’t letting up anytime soon- they’ll freeze out there.”

     “If our soldiers and those PVA bastards don’t get them first,” Jo added. There was the same grudge in his voice that was present in North Hamgyong’s feelings about foreigners coming to ‘help’ them.

     Screw the puppets- they would fucking freeze. If the enemy broke through at Lake Changjin, there was the possibility they would destroy Hagaru-ri behind them, which held the power stations that powered his and his sister’s provinces. Already he’d been hearing shit about their vehicles refusing to start, and the blood stores in the field freezing.

     Fuck it. There wasn’t anything he could do about that. The Chinese had been holding that area for awhile. They’d better keep holding it, then break through and kill the Yanks like they were ordered. Meanwhile they needed to defend Chongjin, so the enemy couldn’t flank the foreign Communists through the northern mountains. Or fuck their city up.