17. Egon's Lettters

*Note: this work is an 18 chapter novella, not a collection of shorts, best started at chapter one. Rating PG13*

Ray decodes and rearranges all Egon's letters, there is one for Callie, a letter for Phoebe and one for Trevor. Even a brief note for Gary. There are three letters for Ray.

We'll concern ourselves with Egon's letters to his husband, all written in late 2020:
.
.
.
Raymond, my love,

You know I never wanted to sell my proton pack or ghost trap designs to the Department of Defense. They would surely use the proton technology on living people. The military would use my life's work to bring buildings down on top of children. Never.

What you do not know, is that I have invented many other things. Over the decades, I have sold hundreds of inventions. I currently hold 2,346 patents. My work is in modems, hearing aids, smart phones and vacuums. Tech companies all over the world paid me ridiculous sums for gadgets.

I have invested the money. You're rich, Ray. All of you.

If I give the fortune to Callie or the kids now, the fight with Gozer will take it from them. The kids will just throw it all towards stopping the trap system from failing and they'll wind up Gozer's guardians forever, stuck out at the farm, lives lived in vigilance and servitude. No, I can not have that future for our family. The traps must fail! You all must banish Gozer forever.

Only after Gozer is gone, give them the money.

The bank account numbers are in Winston's letter. There's more paperwork on my patents hidden in Columbia's library, tucked into a textbook I wrote 42 years ago. The call numbers are in the key letter, too. I am quite certain no one has ever checked that book out. Only you or I would want to read it. I couldn't leave a financial trail in the lab and let Janine find it too early. She would force me to pay my debts with it and I don't want those corporate bastards to have a cent. My estate taxes that will inevitably fund the military industrial complex are bad enough to contemplate.

There is an account for Janine, as well. For her many years of kindness and friendship.

And one for you. Let me take care of you, Ray. Don't give it all away. Live, Stantz, you've earned it. Promise me you will live.

Raymond, I know what I have to do next, what will happen to me, and I am at peace. I can see so much from here, but I can not see how to change my fate. This is the only way. Sacrifices must be made. I am not afraid.

I will see you in your dreams.

Love always,

~Egon~
.
.
.
.
.
My Ray,

Soon.

I am so tired of waiting and fighting. Waiting and fighting. Over soon.

I am ready to rest.

Do you remember that tropical vacation we tried to take in 1987, when we ended up investigating a haunting at the resort and never even set foot on the beach? Neither one of us was ever good at resting.

If you are reading this, I am finally learning how to rest.

When you are ready, I will be waiting for you. Whatever the next phase is after this lifetime, we will be together again.

As you know, matter can neither be created nor destroyed, and so, I must still exist in some infinite form. Raymond, wherever I am now, I am still loving you. I will always love you.

Ask Janine out already, Ray. You never could tell when someone is flirting with you. Wasn't crawling into our bed a big enough hint? She really likes you.

So do I. I want you to be happy. Please try.

Always,
Spengs
.
.
.
.
.
Dearest Ray,

I have spent too much time close to Gozer's gate in Shandor's tomb. They pull at me, the energies that converge there. The voices. The portal. It has begun to unravel my hold on the present moment. My PKE readings are off the charts. My body loses its grip on my soul. I am sometimes only a consciousness, an entity outside of time.

From here, Ray, I can see Everything.

The future. The past. What could have been. My only wish is that you could see it with me.

You will. We will.

There are many Universes spread out before me.

And I am with you in almost every one. Even the one where I am blonde and blue eyed and you have red hair. Though, there is one odd world where I have married Janine and you have been with Venkman for forty five years. Can you imagine? Our other selves were quite happy in that dimension, to my surprise. Other than them, almost all the versions of us, in all the Multiverse, are together.

But we are not. You and I are apart.

Do not blame yourself, Ray. Or at least, share the blame with me. I shouldn't have kept secrets and I shouldn't have left you. You should have believed me and come to find me. We could have done so much better by each other in this life. I am forever sorry, Raymond.

I am certain we will have other lifetimes together to try again and get it right.

I can see you from here, Beloved. Burning like a candle flame in the dark, keeping busy around your shop in New York. Your energy is visible to me across all spacetime. Did you know? I could find you anywhere.

I will.

Don't forget to drink some water. You've been sitting there decoding a long time.

I will always love you,

Your Egon