chapter one

I threw my heavy backpack overflowing with textbooks and random homework assignments over my shoulder and headed out of the lecture hall that held my last class of the day.

Being a senior in college was both fantastic and stressful at the same time. I usually have student teaching in the morning at a local high school all five days of the week to complete my English education major, then on Mondays and Wednesdays I come back to campus and have my other two classes associated with my writing major. Otherwise on the other three days I don't have my writing classes I stay the whole school day at the high school I do my student teaching at.

I walked to the parking lot where my car had been sitting since coming to campus at around noon, then unlocked my car. I threw my backpack in the back seat behind the driver's seat, then slammed that door shut before getting into the driver's seat.

I put the keys into the ignition and started up my car, then while I was waiting for the car to warm up, I checked my phone to see if I had any important text messages or notifications while I was in my writing class.

Bailey: Sooo guess what

I chuckled as I pressed on the notification from my best friend's text message and began typing a response back to her.

You're pregnant? Lolololol

Bailey began typing a response back.

Bailey: Nooooo wtf

Bailey: There was a flier I saw in the entrance of the medical center on campus. It's a ticket giveaway to the Wild game next Saturday when they play the Capitals. On the glass seats next to the penalty box.

My eyes widened with intrigue. I have been a Minnesota Wild fan ever since a team came back to Minnesota after the North Stars left for Dallas, even if I really was only a year old. My dad was a good hockey player back in his old days, and he even went to play division one hockey at Minnesota State in Mankato. Of course, when I was born, and since I am an only child, I was forced to be put into skates and I started playing hockey at eight. I played until my senior year in high school, then I officially hung the skates up. I still play hockey to this day, just for fun or sometimes I'll be asked to go back to Red Wing to help coach their youth hockey team.

That's awesome!!! Did you get registered or what do you have to do to enter the giveaway?

Bailey: Well duhhh

I chuckled again.

Imagine if we win these seats.

Bailey started typing again, then my screen lit up with her contact picture as she was trying to call me.

I answered her call.

"Oh, I forgot to mention this. Along with the tickets, apparently you get to have an opportunity to meet the players and take a picture with one of them," she told me, and of course, this only intrigued me even more.

"Seriously? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity!" I exclaimed, seeing my own breath puff out of my mouth as it was still cold in my vehicle.

She chuckled. "I know! Imagine a picture with Kevin Fiala!" she exclaimed with excitement.

"Alright, now. One, I'm pretty sure Kev's already got a fiancée, and two, you have a boyfriend," I told her just to jokingly poke holes into her skin.

"Okay, but he's a professional hockey player. Jordan's not gonna care if Kevin's got a fiancée," she responded.

I giggled as I chewed on my fingernails. "Right, right," I said as I held my hand up to the venting system on the dash and felt some hot air blow out. "When are you supposed to know when and if we get the tickets?" I asked her.