chapter three

"So, I'm not going to be able to make it to the basketball game tonight," I told Bailey as she pulled to the side of the street to Raising Cane's.

She looked at me in confusion as she put the car in park. "But I literally bought tickets on Thursday to finally see Jordan play, and now you're ditching me? What do you have?" she asked me as there was an immediate change to her mood. A few minutes ago she was so happy about finally getting something to eat after her six hour clinical this morning.

I wasn't telling her about going to another Wild game to now go see Kirill play since we were...friends? I wouldn't know the exact answer to that question about what we were. I'm sure he didn't either.

I bit my lip as I thought of something reasonable that could last the duration of a Wild hockey game-in regulation, at least.

"I'm going bowling with a few members of the Writer's Club. Then I've got homework to do," I told her as she turned her car off.

She looked at me in another expression of confusion. "Really? I thought that wasn't until Thursday," she told me, which it actually was, but I'm not telling her that I'm going to another Wild game. She'll freak out and cause a big scene for which I didn't want happening. Especially since I have horrible anxiety in the first place.

I sighed. "No, it got moved to tonight because more people were available tonight rather than Thursday night," I responded to falsely clarify her.

She nodded her head. Even though she is a nursing student, she can't be gullible to save her life. "Okay, guess I'm bringing Isabelle," she said, and Isabelle was a fellow nursing student like her and they were also really good friends.

I half-shrugged. "That's nice. I'll be bowling while you two are at a basketball game," I chuckled, then we both got out of her car and went into Raising Cane's.

While waiting in line, I noticed that Kirill had sent me a message about three minutes ago from the time I checked my phone.

Kirill: How was teaching?

I blushed, and I hid a small smile from Bailey showing my affection towards the guy on the other side of the screen. I began typing my response, then pressed the blue arrow.

Eh, like normal. Are you excited for the game tonight?

To my surprise, Kirill read the text message quite fast, then the gray typing bubbles appeared on his side of the chat.

Kirill: Yeah. More that you'll be there 😊

My smile widened.

How sweet 🤍

"Who are you texting with that kind of smile on your face?" Bailey asked as she peeked over my shoulder.

I immediately hid my phone from her as I turned it off. "Uh, nobody. Just my mom. She says that we might be going to South Carolina for our summer vacation," I told her right off the spot.

Again, being the gullible person that Bailey is, she just nodded her head and faced the menu again as we still were behind a few people.

My phone buzzed in my hand. I glanced at the screen and noticed that Kirill had texted me again.

Kirill: Where are you sitting?

The line shifted closer to the register.

My dad has Wild season tickets. They're behind the goal you guys shoot at twice.

"Do you want the Caniac box or whatever it's called?" Bailey asked as she nudged my elbow.

I looked up at her in confusion, making sure I turned my phone off so she couldn't see that I was in fact, not texting my mom. "You're buying me lunch?" I questioned her.