Chapter Nine : Beginning

Third POV:

Just like that, a whole week has passed. And somehow Effie Survived

..Currently, Sunny and Effie were sitting on the support beam of the main hall of the cathedral, looking down from the head-spinning height. Far below and away from them, the Black Knight walked through the patches of light and darkness, continuing his neverending patrol.

Effie scowled, then whispered:

"So this is the bastard?"

Sunny gave her a nod.

"Yeah. In the flesh... or whatever he has instead of it."

The unruly huntress gave him a long look.

"How the hell did you manage to live through a fight with that fiend?"

He grimaced.

"Barely. Also, calling it a fight is giving me too much credit. I just got myself gutted and crawled outside. He never leaves the cathedral, so I got away."

She shivered.

"Are you sure that he won't hear us?"

Sunny pointed down.

"As long as he doesn't walk past that column, and as long as we're not too loud and keep our voice down, we're safe. Trust me. I've been studying that bastard for two whole months."

Effie suddenly grinned.

"So... how loud are we talking about? Because I can promise to..."

Sunny rolled his eyes. He didn't need to hear the end of the phrase to know that it was going to be highly suggestive and very inappropriate.

"I'm pretty sure that thing can make you scream even louder than what you intended to. So Can you stop? We're in a temple, for God's sake."

She quietly giggled.

"Fine, fine."

After a couple of minutes passed in silence, Sunny looked down and saw that the pale light of dawn was slowly turning brighter. It was almost time for the two of them to leave the cathedral.

****

Soon, they were standing in front of the cathedral. The morning sun was slowly crawling through the sky, washing the ancient city in its pale light. Sunny and Effie did not have to wait long before Nephis and her companions appeared from the ruins.

Sunny smiled.

There was Changing Star herself, Caster, Cassie. and Kai.

'Really?'

Once the four Sleepers approached and greeted them, Sunny immediately stared at the beautiful young man.

"Night... uh... why are you here, buddy?"

The archer smiled.

"Ah! I'm very happy to see you too, Sunny, my friend. Lady Nephis has asked me to join her on this expedition, and after careful consideration, I have decided to agree."

Sunny blinked a couple of times.

"Alright, I know that I'm crazy, but when did you lose your mind too?"

Kai looked at him with a strange expression.

"Wait.. crazy? What do you mean, you're crazy?"

Sunny sighed.

"Nevermind."

Sunny shook his head. Kai was just too good of a person to even refuse Neph's request.

Then, he turned to her.