Chapter 13: Powerhouse

Third POV:

'How much time has passed?'

Nephis stepped back from her furious exchange of blows with Sunny who seemed quite nonchalant at the moment.

Between the two, one was heavily breathing while the other simply stood there waiting for the other party to strike again.

'Who would guess that I was the one who taught him how to wield a sword..'

Almost five hours had passed since they started their spar, and the cohort members were equally as shocked as Changing Star herself. At the Far side of the marble arch, only Cassie sat beside the fire while the rest of the cohort circled around Nephis and Sunny from a safe distance eyeing their spar with interest.

It was Caster who was shocked the most.

But that shock was quickly diminished.

'How can a mongrel like that scum actually push Changing Star back? Who even I couldn't without her holding back? Yeah, she's definitely holding back....'

Unbeknown to him, that was his sorry attempt to save his fragile ego from collapsing.

On the other side, Nephis immediately cleared her head. To win this spar, she had to be absolutely clear, and absolutely focused. She couldn't allow herself to feel anything, or be distracted by anything.

Only determination. Only resolve.

'What type of a teacher loses to their own pupil after only three months of separation?'

Definitely not the type she wants to be.

Just like that Nephis brought the pommel of her sword to her shoulder.

White flames ignited in her eyes.

An excited smile graced her lips.

And then, suddenly, she lunged forward.

She sure was fast, But not fast enough to not give Sunny enough time to react. Raising the Midnight Shard, he dashed forward to block her furious assault.

But just moments before they clashed, Sunny Slightly lowered the tip of his sword and swung it in a vertical upward cut. Striking Nephis's long Sword from under mid-swing, and flicking it off.

Neph shuddered the force of the impact sending a shock through her entire body.

It felt as though her sword had collided with a mountain and bounced off.

She quickly regained her composure. Swinging her sword downward, Nephis aimed for his right shoulder. Waiting for him to sidestep, she was ready to deliver a follow-up through the same motion using her momentum to land a clean hit.

But to her surprise, Sunny seemed to have foreseen it.

He didn't sidestep but instead shifted his weight to his back feet and held his sword in a reverse grip. He immediately shot his arm forward striking the blade of Nephis's Sword with the hilt of his sword, swaying her off balance and evaporating her momentum.

Nephis Felt like she was being read like an open book.

Immediately after, Their blades got entangled for a moment, and then separated. Almost immediately, the silver longsword lashed out again, appearing from an unexpected direction.... and then again, and again, and again.

But Sunny Simply blocked it or redirected it in an unwanted direction.

It seemed like Sunny knew all of her tricks and methods.