Chapter 1

Summary: Carina sends a letter to her mother.

I feel as if my heart has stopped beating. I stay still, and when my attention returns to the people around me, I realise that I'm not the only one in disbelief. After the first few seconds of total shock, I get up from the bench and hear the Gryffindor table celebrating. I try to look for my brother, but I can't as I'm greeted by several Gryffindor students congratulating me. I sit down next to one of the Weasley twins.

How is this possible? A Malfoy in Gryffindor. Never in history has a Malfoy been from a house other than Slytherin. I'll certainly be disowned, just like my aunt Andromeda and my mum's cousin. I expect something like this from my father, but would Mum really disown me? Is her love for her own daughter so fragile that something like this, something I have no control over, is enough for her to stop loving me? 

When people calm down again, Professor McGonagall continues the sorting, and it's then that I have time to analyze the people around me better and notice the other Gryffindor students. In front of me I recognize Hermione Granger, the know-it-all my brother always complains about. Sitting across from me is Colin Creevey, a first year boy just like me. They're both muggle-borns. This must be some kind of disobedience record, I think I've managed to do everything my father forbade me in a very short time.

I realize that Potter and the other Weasley aren't here. I wonder what happened. I wonder where they are. I look at the professors' table and notice that Professor Snape, the Potions professor that Draco praised so much, isn't there either. I don't have much more time to think about Potter, Weasley or the professor because soon Emma is called away.

 "Potter, Emma!"

The silence in the hall is almost the same as when it was my turn. The red-haired girl with brown eyes makes her way to the stool and then the professor puts the hat on her head. The hat seems to take as long as it did to sort me out.

As soon as he makes up his mind, he shouts, "SLYTHERIN!"

Just when I think I can't be more surprised and shocked than I already am, not only by the house Stella was sorted into, but also the house I'm in, I'm surprised even more... A Potter in Slytherin?! What a year of surprises...

I can hear the shouts of the people from Slytherin saying "We've got the other Potter!".

I see Hermione, the twins and practically everyone in Gryffindor with their mouths open, completely shocked. I imagine it was a similar reaction at the Slytherins' table when I was sorted into Gryffindor.

The students take even longer to calm down and let Professor McGonagall continue the sorting. "Weasley, Ginevra!"

Everyone falls silent again. Ginny climbs the steps and sits down. In a few seconds the hat decides. "GRYFFINDOR!"

Our whole table stands up and applauds. I'm relieved to have at least one familiar face among the first-year Gryffindor class. The twin who was sitting next to me makes room for Ginny to sit between us.

Things calm down a bit after the headmaster says a few words and the feast is served. I want some time to talk to Draco, but it doesn't look like that's going to be possible since another Weasley is making us follow him to the Gryffindor common room after dinner.

I share a room with four other girls: Ginny Weasley, Beatrice Fortescue, Lydia Johnson and Amber Noel. 

The second each of us chooses a bed and starts to settle into our new room, I open the box where my cat Lyra is and then take out a quill and parchment to write to Mum. 

𝘿𝙚𝙖𝙧 𝙈𝙪𝙢,

𝙄𝙛 𝘿𝙧𝙖𝙘𝙤 𝙬𝙖𝙨𝙣'𝙩 𝙦𝙪𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙣 𝙢𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙬𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙮𝙤𝙪, 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙩𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙄'𝙫𝙚 𝙗𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙨𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙤 𝙂𝙧𝙮𝙛𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙙𝙤𝙧. 𝙄 𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙢𝙞𝙨𝙚 𝙄 𝙗𝙚𝙜𝙜𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙃𝙖𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙥𝙪𝙩 𝙢𝙚 𝙞𝙣 𝙎𝙡𝙮𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙣! 𝘽𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙩 𝙨𝙚𝙚𝙢𝙨 𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙞𝙙𝙣'𝙩 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙨𝙞𝙙𝙚𝙧 𝙢𝙮 𝙬𝙞𝙨𝙝. 𝙄'𝙢 𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮 𝙖𝙛𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙙 𝙤𝙛 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙛𝙖𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙢𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙙𝙤 𝙨𝙞𝙣𝙘𝙚 𝙄'𝙢 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙞𝙣 𝙎𝙡𝙮𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙣, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙣 𝙂𝙧𝙮𝙛𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙙𝙤𝙧! 𝙄'𝙢 𝙨𝙤𝙧𝙧𝙮 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙙𝙞𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙣𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙖𝙢𝙞𝙡𝙮 𝙣𝙖𝙢𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙖𝙮 𝙄 𝙙𝙞𝙙, 𝙄 𝙣𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙖𝙣𝙮𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙡𝙚𝙨𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙣 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙘𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙥𝙧𝙞𝙙𝙚 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙗𝙤𝙩𝙝 𝙤𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪. 𝙄 𝙝𝙤𝙥𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙢𝙚.