Chapter 8

Summary: Valentine's Day. Quidditch match cancelled.

Hermione ends up spending several weeks in the hospital wing. During this time I find out a few things: Hermione was planning to transform herself into Milicent Bulstrode to get into the Slytherin common room and try to find out something about the Slytherin heir with my brother. Speaking of Draco, Emma came to tell me about my brother being an idiot again, making fun of the Weasleys' father because of an article in the Daily Prophet. Also, Harry and Ron turned into Crabbe and Goyle so they could talk to Draco about the Slytherin heir.

When I enter the Great Hall, I wonder for a moment if I've entered the wrong place. The walls of the Hall are decorated with roses, and heart-shaped confetti falls from the bewitching ceiling. I exchange glances with my roommates, surely judging all this decoration.

I sit down at the Gryffindor table to have breakfast. I see Hermione and Ginny looking at one of the teachers with that disgusting look that girls give guys they have a crush on. Out of curiosity, I follow their gaze only to regret it, because I see Lockhart dressed in a bright shade of pink, he seems to be part of the decoration. I think I'm going green from how sick I get.

"Are you all right?" Lydia asks worriedly.

I shake my head. "I think Professor Lockhart's robes have blinded me."

She chuckles.

"Happy Valentine's Day!" says Lockhart as soon as he gets the students to be quiet. "And may I thank the forty-six people who have so far sent me cards! Yes, I have taken the liberty of arranging this little surprise for you all – and it doesn't end here!"

"Isn't the torture of seeing him dressed like that enough?" I hear one of the twins mutter.

Lockhart claps his hands and then the doors to the Great Hall open, and eleven surly-looking dwarves enter, wearing wings and holding harps.

"My friendly, card-carrying cupids!" Lockhart smiles. "They will be roving around the school today delivering your Valentines! And the fun doesn't stop here! I'm sure my colleagues will want to enter into the spirit of the occasion! Why not ask Professor Snape to show you how to whip up a Love Potion! And while you're at it, Professor Flitwick knows more about Entrancing Enchantments than any wizard I've ever met, the sly old dog!"

Professor Snape makes a face like he would make the first student who asks him to teach them how to make a Love Potion drink poison.

The dwarves spend the day invading classrooms handing out cards. One is even given to Harry.

"Oy, you! 'Arry Potter!" shouts a dwarf, elbowing his way through the students.

My friends and I make way for him to pass, trying to hide our laughter.

"I've got a musical message to deliver to 'Arry Potter in person," says the dwarf, holding up his harp.

"Not here," Harry hisses, turning red.

"Stay still!" the dwarf says, grabbing Harry's bag so he can't escape.

Poor Harry accidentally rips his bag in an attempt to escape.

"What's going on here?" I hear my brother's voice.

I think Draco's presence only makes Harry more desperate to get out of here. He tries to run, but the dwarf grabs him by the knees, making him fall.

"Right," says the dwarf. "here is your singing Valentine,"

His eyes are as green as a fresh pickled toad, His hair is as dark as a blackboard. I wish he was mine, he's really divine, The hero who conquered the Dark Lord.

We all laugh. I walk back towards the classroom with Ginny and my other friends when I hear Draco's voice again, "I don't think Potter liked your Valentine much!"

Ginny covers her face with her hands and runs into the classroom before us.

Karma with my brother for laughing at Harry happens during dinner. We're all in the Great Hall when a dwarf approaches the Slytherin table.

"Dragon Malfoy!" the dwarf's shout draws my attention and that of others at the Gryffindor table, causing us to turn towards the Slytherin table.

My brother turns so red that you can tell he's redder than a tomato from a distance. He turns in slow motion towards the dwarf.

"I have a musical message to deliver to Dragon Malfoy." says the dwarf, preparing his harp. "Here we go,"

Dragon Malfoy, with hair slicked back so neat, A face like he just sniffed a lemon, oh, what a feat! But beneath that smug façade, so pristine and trim, Lies a Slytherin heart, cold as a winter's grim.

I'm eternally grateful to whoever came up with the idea of doing this to my brother. The people of Gryffindor all burst into laughter.

The day arrives for the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. I'm with Stella in the stands, me all in red and her all in yellow. We're excited for the match to start when Professor McGonagall arrives on the pitch with a megaphone shouting that the match has been cancelled.

"All students are to make their way back to the house common rooms, where their Heads of Houses will give them further information. As quickly as you can, please!"

Stella and I look at each other worriedly. Together with our Gryffindor and Hufflepuff roommates, we walk back to the castle, separating only when we reach the stairs, Stella and the other Hufflepuffs heading for the basement while my roommates and I go up to the Gryffindor common room.

The Gryffindor students wait anxiously for Professor McGonagall in the common room. As soon as she arrives, I realise she's accompanied by Harry and Ron, both with shocked looks on their faces. I wonder what's happened. It's after I've asked myself that I notice someone's missing: Hermione. Oh, no...

"All students will return to their house common rooms by six o'clock in the evening. No student is to leave the dormitories after that time. You will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher. No student is to use the bathroom unaccompanied by a teacher. All further Quidditch training and matches are to be postponed. There will be no more evening activities." says McGonagall, reading a parchment. "I need hardly add that I have rarely been so distressed. It is likely that the school will be closed unless the culprit behind these attacks is caught. I would urge anyone who thinks they might know anything about them to come forward."

Everyone waits for the teacher to leave to start speculating.

"That's two Gryffindors down, not counting a Gryffindor ghost, one Ravenclaw and one Hufflepuff," says Lee Jordan, a friend of the Weasley twins. "Haven't any of the teachers noticed that the Slytherins are all safe? Isn't it obvious all this stuff's coming from Slytherin? The heir of Slytherin, the monster of Slytherin – why don't they just chuck all the Slytherins out?"

I feel several discreet glances at me. I know what people must think, my last name carries this pre-judgement from many.

"Look," I say, drawing the attention of everyone in the common room. "I know there are a lot of rumours going around Hogwarts, and whether you believe me or not, I want to make it clear that my brother and I are not Slytherin heirs. I'm not even a Slytherin, but it seems that many of you forget or ignore this detail." everyone keeps quiet. "And you know what? Slytherins can have thousands of faults, I know this more than anyone else here considering that my entire family was sorted into Slytherin, but you can be just as prejudiced against them as they are against you."

As soon as I'd finished speaking, I storm off to my room, my friends right behind me.