Chapter 17

Summary: Carina receives a letter from Narcissa just before returning home for the Christmas holidays. She visits the Slytherin common room.

The next day I wake up early, excited about going home for the Christmas holidays. At least I'm excited until I see a letter on top of my trunk (which is all packed up ready to be taken home). It's a letter from Mum.

𝑫𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝑪𝒂𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒂,

𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒃𝒚 𝒔𝒂𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒏'𝒕 𝒑𝒖𝒕 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒐 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒅𝒔 𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒖𝒑𝒔𝒆𝒕 𝑰 𝒂𝒎 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒘𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒍𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒖𝒏𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒖𝒏𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒚 𝒚𝒐𝒖, 𝑫𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒐 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝒘𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒃𝒆 𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒊𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆. 𝑰 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒐𝒏𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒃𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒗𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒇𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒕 𝒉𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏 𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒄𝒉𝒐𝒐𝒍, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒊𝒏𝒔𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝑰 𝒘𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒍𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒔𝒌 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒚 𝒂𝒕 𝑯𝒐𝒈𝒘𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒔 𝒐𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒂𝒊𝒏 𝒅𝒖𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑪𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒔 𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒊𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔.

𝑾𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝑺𝒊𝒓𝒊𝒖𝒔 𝑩𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒔𝒆, 𝑳𝒖𝒄𝒊𝒖𝒔 𝒉𝒂𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏 𝒖𝒔𝒖𝒂𝒍 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒉𝒂𝒔 𝒌𝒆𝒑𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒃𝒖𝒔𝒚 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒗𝒂𝒓𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒊𝒏𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒚 (𝒂𝒄𝒄𝒐𝒓𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒊𝒎).

𝑰 𝒉𝒐𝒑𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒈𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝒎𝒆.

𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆, 𝑵𝒂𝒓𝒄𝒊𝒔𝒔𝒂.

I feel my face heat up with anger and sadness as I read the letter, at the same time as my vision begins to blur from the tears that are gradually marking my face. My father is always busy with matters that he says are about his work at the Ministry, but I'm not naïve, I know that a lot of this certainly has to do with the fact that my father is a Death Eater... And I can't help feeling angry with my mum for being this obedient wife who does everything my father asks her to do... I just want to go home. 

I feel someone tap me on the shoulder, and then I turn round. It's Beatrice, her trunk standing next to her and her owl's cage on top of it. She looks at me worriedly.

"Did something happen?" she asks in a sweet voice.

I sigh and quickly wipe the tears that have fallen. "I was informed at the last minute by my mum that I'll be staying at Hogwarts once again."

Beatrice looks at me with pity. She steps forward and wraps me in a hug. 

"I'm sure she must have a good reason for it, Carina. I bet your mum would like you to spend Christmas with her." Beatrice says, trying to comfort me. "Anyway, Emma will be spending the holidays here too. You won't be alone."

I wake up on Christmas morning happy for a brief moment, only until I realise that I'm waking up in my dorm at Hogwarts and not in my bedroom at home. I get out of bed, scratching my eyes. I quickly change out of my pyjamas and into warm, comfortable clothes and head down to the common room.