The Story

"So tell me," asked Ciel. "What exactly happens in this little test of yours?" She lay down on her bed, casually reading a book. 

"Ah, it's basically a test to judge the overall capability of the adventurer," I replied. "So it tests you on three bases - Knowledge, survival skills, and overall strength. Consequently, you have to undergo a written exam, clear a dungeon, and then fight a dungeon beast alone. They give you a rank according to how well you perform in all three criteria." 

"I see," replied Ciel. 

"The test happens once a week each week and has to be booked in advance at least 6 hours before," I continued. "Other than the months that are a multiple of 3. Next month is the 6th ascension, so we need to finish everything within these remaining 10 days."

"The 6th ascension?" asked Ciel, her eyes flowing incessantly over the words of her book. "Is it based on some kind of gods? That's a very redundant way of designing a calendar."

"Ah, you sure pick up fast," I commended. "That's right. The Calendar we follow, known as the Heavenly Calendar, has 18 months, 4 weeks each, that mirror the 18 heavenly districts; each associated with a God in charge. Numbering from 1-18, each God is given a 'seat' or 'ascension', and also oversees a particular part of this country. For example, the Synth City's guardian is the 4th Ascension, a God named Emul. They usually descend every month or two to inspect their territory personally. The last time Emul descended was three months ago. We may get to see him soon." 

"That's good enough," replied Ciel, looking at me. "I may find some use of it," she added and returned to turning pages of her book. 

''Redundant, huh?' I wonder what kind of calendar they used to have in the ancient days.'

"There was only one calendar at that time," replied Ciel, as if my thoughts were said out loud. "It was based on cycles of certain phenomena you won't understand."

"Just one calendar for the entire world?" I asked, rolling my eyes. "How did you convince the entire world of it? Did you not have nations and realms in your time?" 

"We did," replied Ciel, nonchalantly. "Everyone just agreed to do what master came up with."

"That's amazing," I exclaimed. "Here I can't even imagine the Demons, Gods and Heroes coming to terms with one another."  

'Rimuru must be an amazing ruler for the entire world to do what he said without any resistance.'

Then there was silence, only interrupted by the subtle sound of Ciel flipping the pages of her book. The night was deepening but there was no sign of Ciel getting ready to sleep. I suppose she doesn't require rest after all. But something else was bugging me, and my brain needed answers more than my eyes needed slumber. 

"Ciel-san, If you don't mind me asking," I said. "Your analysis skills seemed far superior when you scanned the entire city in an instant. Do you really need to read a book to know its contents?"

"No, not at all," replied Ciel, unbothered and unmoved. "This is just a hobby I picked up during our slumber."

"I-I see," I replied, getting up and coming close, trying to take a peek. The book had a blank cover, and the pages were written in a language I didn't understand. "Is this book fun?" 

"Not really," she replied. "I have already read it a few thousand times. It was written by Rimuru four thousand years before we were sealed. The story is bland and it's full of errors and plot holes. Needless to say, I had to rework most of it before it could be published. Although the concept is interesting, it is basically unreadable to the audience in its raw form."