XII

XII The Second Task

In the bustling corridors of Hogwarts, the air was abuzz with excitement as students eagerly anticipated the upcoming second task of the Triwizard Tournament. Among them, Fred and George Weasley found themselves at the center of the commotion, their mischievous grins hinting at the mischief they were about to unleash.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen, gather 'round!" Fred called out, his voice carrying above the din as he and George set up an impromptu betting booth near the entrance to the Great Hall.

"Step right up and place your bets on who'll win the second task!" George chimed in, his eyes twinkling with mischief as he waved a handful of Galleons in the air.

Students began to gather around the twins, their curiosity piqued by the prospect of placing their bets on their favorite champions. Fred and George wasted no time in orchestrating the chaos, their banter and charm drawing in eager participants from all corners of the school.

"Come on, now, don't be shy!" Fred exclaimed, a mischievous grin playing on his lips as he gestured to the makeshift betting board they had set up. "Who's it gonna be? Krum, Delacour, or one of our very own Hogwarts champions?"

The students eagerly placed their bets, some swayed by loyalty to their own house, while others took a more strategic approach, weighing the strengths and weaknesses of each champion. Fred and George watched with glee as the bets piled up, their pockets growing heavier with each passing moment.

As the excitement reached a fever pitch, Fred turned to George with a triumphant grin. "Looks like we've got ourselves a full house, brother," he said, a glint of mischief in his eyes.

George chuckled, clapping Fred on the back. "That we do, Fred. That we do."

Across the bustling corridor, Rowen watched the scene unfold with a small smile playing on her lips. Leaning against the stone wall, she observed the lively spectacle created by Fred and George with a mixture of amusement and fondness.

Her eyes danced with amusement as she watched the twins' animated gestures and infectious energy draw in students from all corners of the school. There was something undeniably captivating about their antics, a magnetic charm that seemed to enchant everyone in their presence. Fred and George's mischievous spirit never failed to bring a smile to her face, their antics serving as a welcome distraction from the looming tension of the Triwizard Tournament.

As she stood there, bathed in the glow of the flickering torchlight, Rowen felt a wave of gratitude wash over her. In the midst of the chaos and uncertainty, it was moments like these—moments of laughter and camaraderie that gave her a small sense of hope for the future.

Rowen approached the lively betting booth, she couldn't help but chuckle at Fred's playful invitation. "Care to place a bet, Miss Bishop?" he asked, his tone teasing yet inviting.

Rowen's smile widened at the sight of her friend, his mischievous grin reflecting her own. "Well, Fred, you know I'm not one to shy away from a bit of excitement," she replied, her eyes twinkling with amusement.

Fred's grin widened at her response, a playful glint dancing in his eyes. "That's the spirit!" he exclaimed, gesturing to the makeshift betting board with a flourish. "So, who's your pick? Krum, Delacour, Diggory, or perhaps Harry Potter?"

Rowen considered her options for a moment, weighing the strengths and weaknesses of each champion in her mind. "I think I'll place my bet on Diggory," she said finally, her voice filled with confidence.

Fred's eyebrows shot up in surprise at her choice, but his grin never faltered. "Bold choice, Miss Bishop," he remarked, his tone tinged with admiration. "But then again, who better to bet on than our own champion?"