How Intense Is Your Desire?

There are numerous stories and examples which provide a special viewpoint on the concept of success in the Zen Buddha religion. This viewpoint is truly different in comparison to the traditional definition of success. Today, we will read about one such Zen story, which depicts the concept of success in a unique way.

      Once, a young and ambitious disciple approached his Zen master and asked, "Master, what is the secret to success in life?"

      The Zen master, a venerable and wise old man, looked at the disciple and replied, "Come with me."

       He led the disciple to a nearby river and gestured for him to sit by the water's edge. Then, unexpectedly, the master grabbed the disciple's head and pushed it underwater. The disciple struggled and tried to break free, but the master's grip was firm.

      As the disciple's struggles grew weaker, and he felt that he couldn't hold his breath any longer, the master finally released him. Gasping for air, the disciple emerged from the water, coughing and sputtering.

      The Zen master calmly asked, "What were you thinking about when you wereunderwater?"
      The disciple, still catching his breath, replied, "Air, Master, I was thinking only ofair."

      The master nodded and said, "When you desire success as intensely as you desired air while underwater, then nothing can stop you from achieving it."

      This Zen story illustrates a profound lesson about success. It emphasizes the importance of unwavering determination and focus. Just as the disciple's single-minded focus on air was the key to his survival underwater, similarly, success often requires an unwavering dedication and a singular focus on one's goals. In Zen philosophy, success is not necessarily about material wealth or fame but about the commitment, determination, and mindfulness one brings to their endeavors.