Chapter 13

It has been two days since Makenna's discussion with Thea and Atlas. She'd had enough time to think about what she needed to do, what she had to do. Thea was completely right and she hated that every time she was around him, she became too tongue-tied to say what she had to say. But that didn't mean she had to go looking for him to give him a piece of her mind. Which is why she was still avoiding him at all costs.

"Can you believe the second assessment is in less than two weeks?" Vanessa asked Makenna as they exited another lecture hall that day,

"Hmm,"

"There's a part of me that's excited to be nearing the end of the semester, but another part of me just isn't looking forward to the midterms and finals in May."

"As long as we don't have any of Professor Montey's classes in our final year."

"Senior year." Vanessa smiled, "Doesn't feel that way."

Makenna glanced at her, knowing exactly what she meant. It felt like they'd joined college a few weeks ago.

"So," Vanessa glanced at her as they stepped out of their department, "What's going on with you and Atlas?"

Makenna hated that she immediately felt guilty, probably even looked it,
"Nothing."

"Oh, c'mon Mac, it wouldn't take a genius to see that you've obviously been staying away from him."

"What gave you that impression?" Makenna stopped and turned to face her,

"Let's see," Vanessa mirrored her stance, "You avoiding him at the library on Monday and then running away after seeing him with Will when he called out to us."

Makenna opened and closed her mouth but Vanessa beat her to it.

"Not to mention, the looks you've been giving each other since that party you invited me to last month."

Makenna stared at Vanessa in disbelief.

It hasn't been that long.
She wanted to say but she knew she would be walking into something with that one. She could already hear Vanessa's question after that. Something like 'So there is something going on'.

"I don't know what you mean," Makenna said instead,

"Sure, you don't, and I believe you."

Makenna narrowed her eyes,
"You're being sarcastic."

"C'mon Mac, you're not kidding anyone but yourself."

"I'm just not sure what you want me to say."

"The truth, Mac." Vanessa sounded expectant, "The truth."

Makenna looked at her for a moment; a part of her wanting to share her burden with someone else. But years of conditioning didn't let her.
"Atlas and I are fine, have been fine. As friends - good friends." She forced the last part out of her mouth,

"Have we now?"

Makenna froze and felt everything inside her shut down. Makenna watched the smile that crept to Vanessa's lips as she gazed past her where Atlas stood.

"Hey, Atlas." Vanessa sounded too chirpy,

"Hi, Vanessa." Atlas' voice cut through Makenna's nerves which were starting to rise,

Makenna clenched her jaw and she glared at Vanessa,
"You!" She whispered between clenched teeth,

"I thought you said 'nothing'." Vanessa whispered back and leaned in, "This is definitely something."

Vanessa walked past Makenna,
"Bye, Atlas."

"Bye, Vanessa."

Makenna hated that everything in her was hyper aware of him standing right there, behind her. It almost felt like he was too close, but she couldn't be sure.