Chapter 10

Polyphemus   701 CT

Polyphemus held the strange contraption that Tantite gave him earlier. It was some kind of stone pipe, with an opening that led to a bigger circle which had a circular piece of glass covering it. Inside of it was a white sun crystal. According to Tantite, it was meant to block the light coming from the sun crystal inside from any direction you didn’t want it to shine, focusing it into a cone instead.

Tantite was walking behind them as they scanned the library. The sun crystal lights that were usually illuminated were off at this time of day. The only light source they had were their own crystals, and the crystal contraption that Tantie had given him. They were searching for answers. Why did their tribe decide to try to wipe out all the other tribes? Why did the war even start? Could it be resolved without violence?

Polyphemus rarely visited the library unless he needed a slate set for Professor Bedrock’s class. He pointed the light around, searching for a sign that would push him in the right direction. A sign that read “history?” “Everything About the War?” “Conveniently-Placed Answers to All Of Your Questions?” He wasn’t sure where to start.

Suddenly, a thud echoed from behind him. “Ow!” Tantite yelped. He swiveled around to see what happened. Tantite had tripped over a pile of slates that were loosely held together. They picked it up and threw it out of frustration. The slates clacked together loudly.

“Shh!” Polyphemus hissed. “If there’s anyone still awake, then you’ll definitely get their attention.”

“Sorry,” Tantite whispered. “I doubt there’s anyone still up at this hour, though. Wouldn’t we have seen them by now?”

“There’s no way of knowing for sure either way, so it’s best that we just stay-”

“Who’s there?” A voice demanded at the door. It was still locked, which could buy them some time.

“Oh dear,” Tantite said. “We have to find a place to hide, now.”

Polyphemus’s eyes darted around the room, searching for a place to hide. There was a desk on this level of the library. Polyphemus ducked behind it. The top of this desk jutted out a bit from the actual body of it, which would cover him from the top a little better. He examined the light that Tantite had given him, trying to figure out how to turn it off.

“Twist it!” Tantite whisper-shouted at him. “Hurry, before they get in!” Polyphemus realized they were referring to the light.

Polyphemus reached inside of the light, twisting the sun crystal. Sure enough, the light faded away relatively quickly. Polyphemus peeked out from behind the desk to see Tantite move aside a cart blocking a couple shelves and duck behind it, moving it back.

The sound of stone sliding across the ground came from below them. Whoever heard them was now inside. Their talonsteps began to echo through the room as the dragon searched the library. Polyphemus ducked his head back under the desk, holding his wings in as close as possible.

“Come out now!” The voice boomed again. Whoever it was sounded somewhat young, maybe around twenty years old or so. Of course, twenty was young for the CavernWings, who naturally lived long lives. The voice sounded like a female, but based on his encounter with Tantite, Polyphemus didn’t want to assume anything now.

After what seemed like ages, the talonsteps faded away. Then, they were present again, but this time, above them. The dragon was checking the second floor now. They growled in frustration, not finding anything out of the ordinary.

The dragon stomped back down into the first floor, looking around again. They must’ve spotted the slates that Tantite threw, because they suddenly grumbled. “Huh, that’s weird,” the dragon said. “Must’ve fell down from there.”

Polyphemus sighed as quietly as he could in relief. Tantite’s temper hadn’t gotten them caught, after all! The dragon’s talonsteps began fading away again. Its voice suddenly cut through the silence. “Nothing to report here,” it said. “Thought I heard someone snooping around. Turns out it was just some slates falling over.” Polyphemus peeked outside to see a dark outline of the dragon in the doorway.

“Then we need to keep looking,” said another voice. “Don’t stop until we find them. Commander’s orders.”

“Yes, sir,” the first voice said. “I’ll let you know if anything else turns up.”

“They could be anywhere,” said the second voice, beginning to fade away. “When we find them, make sure to bring them to-” And then the voice was gone. The sound of stone slamming indicated the door had been shut. They were safe.

“I think they’re gone,” Polyphemus said.

“Good. We need to keep looking,” Tantite said. Something slid across the floor, and Tantite came out. “We’ve got to find it before tomorrow. If they’re looking for someone, it’s probably us. I’ll bet they noticed that we were missing.”

Polyphemus went to stand up, but one of his claws caught on something. He tried tugging on it, and something popped off. It was some kind of box, and it had some slates inside of it. Polyphemus read the title: “The History of the War.” Perhaps this would have the answers to what they were looking for.

“Tantite,” he called, “I may have found something important. I think you should look at it.”

“What is it?” Tantite asked, walking up to him.

“It’s about the history of the war,” Polyphemus said. “Do you think it could give us some clues on what we need to do next?”

“Maybe,” Tantite answered. “Let’s read them, just to make sure. Even if it’s not exactly what we’re looking for, knowing about the war could be helpful.” That just sounded like history homework to Polyphemus, if he was being honest with himself. And he hated history homework. Regardless, Tantite did make a good point.

“Let’s get under the desk, just in case anyone comes back in,” Polyphemus said. “We can read it under there and see if it’s what we’re looking for.”

Tantite nodded. The two huddled under the desk, pulling the slates out of their holder. They read over them together, searching for secrets and information that they would need for their next move. There was no telling if answers would be in this old collection of slates, but they had to take that chance.

One particular slate caught Polyphemus’s eye. Yes, yes. This is very intriguing. This could change everything. Polyphemus bunched the slates up again with a smile. Now I know what to do next. Tantite looked confused.

“What’s up?” Tantite asked.

“I may have just found our next destination.” Polyphemus grinned at Tantite. “Assuming it’s still intact after all this time.”

“Poly, what are you talking about?” Tantite took a step forward.

“We’re going to the surface. Tomorrow.”