Chapter 8: The Prophet

Present Time

Adala's Perspective:

Psalm 34:15 "The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry."

"Surprised to see you here," he said with amusement all over his face.

"Likewise..." I say, slipping my hand from Zuri's grip. This was going to be an interesting night.

Zuri whipped her head around to investigate why I had let go of her hand, looking at me with a confused expression. I wasn't too sure of how I would explain to her how I knew him in a concise manner so, I just told her to "give me a second." Zuri complied with her slight attitude, of course, while I approached the familiar man standing in front of me. "Why would it be a surprise to see me here?" I asked him sarcastically, placing a hand on my hip. 

The tall man chuckled, raising his glass to cover his mouth. "I was just saying it's a coincidence," he responded in a cool tone. "I could ask you the same question, but you see, we both know it's a funny coincidence," the man continued, chuckling more. This made me laugh with him, understanding the point he was making. "Alright..." I laughed. "I need to get back to my friend before she ditches me. I'll catch you later," I finished. I knew Zuri was probably feeling a little awkward waiting for me to finish speaking with him. I had just turned around when I remembered something. 

"Oh! I didn't get to ask you-" bros was gone already... "what your name is..." I glanced around to see where he was, but I didn't see him anywhere. Welp. I went back to Zuri to find her talking to a woman I didn't recognize. I approached a bit awkwardly thinking this was my payback for leaving her standing alone... Zuri saw me coming and her face lit up. "Jasmine! You remember Amiya from high school?!" She said in excitement. I was kinda confused while also trying to return to earth from my thoughts. "Amiya...?" I thought to myself as I looked at the woman, searching my memories. Honestly, I forgot a lot of things from high school unless Trystan was the main point... The doctor said I would regain them over time, but she also said it's different for every patient. 

The woman, Amiya, interceded on her own behalf. "You might not remember me, we only met a couple times. I used to date Trystan! You remember him? Ya'll were close friends, weren't you?"

Oh. I remember now. That caused a laugh to rise out of me. "Haha! Another coincidence... It's good to see you again, miss ma'am!  How have you been?" I said, putting out a hand for her to shake. Amiya quickly shook my hand with a bright smile. "I've been good! You know how I was super focused on opening my own salon when I was in high school? Well, I went to aesthetician school and now I am a certified owner of a salon~!" She said happily. 

"Okay! You better get your business on, business woman!" I replied. 

"Enough about me! How have you been? I know I dated Trystan, but I knew that boy was in love with you. Ya'll married, right?" Amiya said. Dang, why does she keep bringing him up?

I could see Zuri glance at me with worry while I smiled sadly. "You have a good eye for love... We were gonna get married in October of last year, but... Trystan passed away in an accident," I explained to her. 

"What?!" She gasped in shock. I expected the shock. What I didn't expect was for tears to swell in her eyes. "Not Trystan! He had a whole life ahead of him..." Amiya tried to wipe her tears away gently and I would've comforted her, but I was kind of frozen. I had been in this situation so many times by now, breaking the news to people and watching their stages of grief, but it never got easier. It made my heart twist and wrench in my chest. My throat began feeling some kind of phantom pain as I remembered hearing the doctor tell me about his injuries and there I was crying with her. "I know... I know..." I whispered through the lump in my throat, pursing my lips and looking up towards the sky so that my tears would dry quicker. 

Zuri seemed like she didn't know what to do. She just pulled us both towards her and comforted us. I didn't like it though. I hated crying about it like this. It made me feel like he was gone forever. Trystan had been relieved of the troubles of this world and that life that we all believed was ahead of him on this earth was the life that Christ would have lived through him. If God says his mission was finished or if God chose to call him home, then that is the Lord's place to do so! So, quickly, I pulled myself together, sniffling one last time and accepting the peace of the Lord.

"I'm so sorry, but I'm gonna step away for a moment. Okay? I'll be quick," I said, untangling myself from Zuri's hold. "I'll be quick," I added. Zuri nodded and I walked to the bathroom, keeping my head low to dry my eyes. "Lord, I could go into a praise right now because of your mercy..." I said to God in a quiet voice, but God had other plans. 

I have a word for you. 

"We can get into that word in worship. I'm about to go pray in this bathroom real quick, get in Your presence, I might cry a little bit, but that's al-" 

"Sorry to interrupt your conversation..." I heard someone say. I looked up to see the man from the cafe standing a few feet in front of the women's restroom. "I know we just met, but I am a firm believer and disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Lord gave me a word for you."

I was shocked. Oh, he's that deep in it. God didn't You just say You had a word for me? What a coincidence- Nah- Lord, You had this planned! I could just see God smiling. I came back to reality and nodded to the man. "Okay..."

He seemed distressed. "The Lord told me this word about you the first day that I met you and it's been heavy on my heart ever since..."

"Okay...?" I nodded again. "What did He tell you?"

"That man... and not the one from the cafe. That man you were supposed to marry..."

I was stunned already. I paused.

"He wasn't for you. He was a good man, but the Lord was angry with him," he said, breathing a heavy exhale. "Jesus...! That man was a fornicator! He was disobedient when I told him not to move in with you.' The Lord says, 'he didn't listen when I told him not to marry you! He was rebellious and did not repent!'" 

I didn't even realize how tightly my jaw was clenched. I couldn't say a word or doubt the word's coming out of this man's mouth because I could feel the presence of the Lord on me. My hands were in tight fists and I was losing strength to keep standing. No... 

"But God says 'I Am that I Am! I had mercy on him in his last moments! I gave him the strength to save the woman he lied to and he did repent!"

Tears rushed from my eyes and I leaned against the wall beside me so that I could hold myself up. Trystan was sleeping with a woman behind my back?! I... I don't understand...