Chapter 6: The Party

1 Corinthians 13:9 - Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy revels only part of the whole picture!

An awkward silence hung in the air. "Um..."

I bit the question that was on the tip of my tongue and continued with saying my order. The man behind the counter seemed shocked to say the least, though he hid it well, I could tell that he was disappointed in me. I didn't very much care though. I wasn't worried about what he thought of me. So, as Sandro and I found our seats and had settled into our individual positions, I brought up the burning question.

"So, Sandro," I said to bring his full attention. He was already looking at me with a slight smirk. "Are you religious?" I asked him blatantly. His expression dragged a bit and he hung his head, chuckling to himself. "Hmmm, I wouldn't say I'm religious, but I do love God," he answered, leaning back in his chair with his arms crossed.

"But who exactly is God to you?" I questioned him further. I could simply take his answer with it and run, but I knew for a fact that people can refer to anything as a god. My question seemed to stump him as he sighed. "The only God there is, Adala..." He responded with an agitated look etched into his sharp features. This man was emotional...

Something told me that pressing him further wouldn't be very fruitful, so, I stopped there and nodded as I took a sip of my coffee. He definitely wasn't loving God on the same level as I was. In fact, he wasn't even believing in the same God as me. Period. If he couldn't boldly state the Name of Jesus Christ, then what were we even doing?

Later that day, after my meeting that ended up lasting hours, I was tired and emotionally drained. Sandro had really bothered me with his actions earlier and continued to bother me more about the date. I just wanted to go home. On my way home, Zuri called me. "Hey, frienddd," I answered. I could hear shuffling on the other end of the line before her familiar voice finally sounded in the speakers of my car.

"Hiiii," she responded. "Guess what?!"

She was excited. "What?"

She squealed into the microphone before she spoke again. "We have been invited to a party~"

Noooo... "You mean you were invited and I am being forced to be your plus one?" I said sarcastically. I knew how she was. If she was invited to a place, it meant we were invited... and if I don't go, no one's going. I sighed as I heard her giggling over the phone.

"C'mon, Adala! It's nothing extra- In fact! There will be a lot of successful people there!" she added. "Didn't you say that you wanted to meet more successful people who could teach you? Who knows? Now could be your chance!"

I pulled into the parking garage of my apartments and parked my car, reaching into the back seat to grab my purse. "When is the party, Zuri?" I asked, exasperated.

"Tonight," she said casually.

"Oh my gosh, Zuri. Why do you always bring this stuff up last minute?" I whined. "I'm tired..."

"Okay? You still have time to take a nap and do whatever you need to do. It's barely three o'clock and the party starts at eight," she explained.

I had no excuse... I sighed once again, but I couldn't help the smile that itched at my cheeks. "Fine. Fine. I'll go," I finally agreed. I would just take a quick nap and start getting ready around six. So, after Zuri and I ended our call, I took a nice hot shower and took a nap, my eyes drooping shut as I fell into unconsciousness.

"Adala... Adala...! I've got you, baby. Don't worry."

"Adala, please wake up! Ugh..."

I didn't know where I was, but I recognized Trystan's voice clear as day. He was calling my name. I could hear him coughing and I could hear the sloshing sound of water. His coughs sounded like he was suffocating.

Thank You, Father! Agh...!

Suddenly, I shot awake from my sleep. I was short of breath and drenched in sweat. My heart was pounding so heavy in my chest that it made my head throb. "Oh, God..." I groaned.

Your life is persevered. The days of your life stretch on forever.

I was stunned in confusion. "God, what do You mean?" I asked eagerly, but only silence graced the air. My eyes drifted from my ceiling and landed on the clock. It was six -forty! I hopped out of the bed, pushing the dream to the back of my mind, and ran to my bathroom. Looking in the mirror, I could see the beads of sweat that riddled my whole body. Well, good thing I took a shower! I thought to myself in irritation as I stripped my clothes and took a quick shower. When I got out it was six-fifty-five.

I brushed my teeth, moisturized my skin with cocoa butter and sprinted to my closet to find something to wear. If I was going to be surrounded by successful and wealthy people, I needed to look good. So, I wore a black pant suit that hugged my curves modestly. Nothing too much. The top was like a silk vest with gold buttons and gold fabric lining the pockets, collar, with a black undershirt with laced sleeves. The pants had similar lace patterns on at the hems and on the pockets. I settled on wearing it with some black pumps and I carried my favorite brown, and gold Chanel purse. My hair was slicked back into a neat bun, a few curly coils hanging in the front to frame my face. Not much makeup was needed. I did my eyebrows, mascara, concealer and blush, dark drown lip liner and finished it with lip gloss.

By the time I was just finishing, Zuri was calling me and it was seven-thirty. "Adala~!" she sang. "Are you ready, girl? I'm on my way to come and get you!" I had to admit, I was excited. I hadn't been to any party in a while. "Okay..." I said as I looked through my perfumes to see which one I'd be wearing. "Tell me when you're here."

Quickly, Zuri ended the call. She didn't live very far from me so I would be expecting her very soon. I spritzed a perfume to my inner wrists and dabbed it on my neck. It's scent was warm and reminded me of the spring time.

Zuri had arrived a few minutes later, texting me that she was outside. When I got downstairs she rolled down her window, whistling at me. "Hey, girl! You look divine!" she hollered. I blushed as I ran to the car. "Hush, girl...!" I whisper yelled. "And you smell good~!" she added with emphasis on the 'good,' dragging out the word. I laughed as we drove off.

It was maybe a 15 minute drive to the building that the party was taking place. It was on the roof of a tall building. When we arrived I could hear the bustling of conversation and the jazz like bass to the music. Just from downstairs, I could tell it wasn't going to be a super worldly party with hard liquor and loud hip hop.

When we got upstairs, the atmosphere was chill, just as I had expected. Lot's of beautiful women, handsome men, conversation, laughing, and fun. "Oh, this is nice," I said, smiling as my eyes scanned the room. "Isn't it?" Zuri exclaimed, clasping her hands in front of her chest. "I'm ready to have fun!" she said, grabbing my hand to lead me further into the party. As I struggled to keep up with her, a familiar handsome face caught my eye. "Oh-!"

It was the man from the cafe, standing there looking just as surprised as I was with a glass in his hand and dressed down, I must say. In a good way. He looked extremely good.

"Surprised to see you here," he said, amusement all over his face.

"Likewise..." I say, slipping my hand from Zuri's grip. This was going to be an interesting night.