Duet-4

Heading inside, the cats followed her light footsteps. Ms. Anne caught sight of her and smiled, "Did you need something dear?" Shaking her head she replied, "I'm okay Mrs. Anne. I'm just going to my room to practice." Ascending the stairs, she made it to her room. Her bed was freshly made and cleaned. On the side of her bed stood a small table, holding a tall pitcher of water while a towel lay beside it.

Closing the door behind her, she sighed and laid down. One of her cats let out a meow. Getting up slowly, she sat up, each of them gazing into her eyes. Taking her hand out, they purred as her hand gave gentle pats. "I'm alright everyone", she chuckled a bit. "Hm, how about some music to tone down this mood", she suggested. The cats then moved towards the piano, leading her the way.

She gently opened the little compartment from her hard bench and placed it on the piano. As she sat down on the bench, she uncovered the piano, revealing the black and white pieces. Inhaling and exhaling, her fingers touched the keys on the piano and began to play.

Once she was done playing the last few notes of the melody, a few of her cats meowed and purred as they seemed to enjoy it. A single meow came behind her. It was Aurore. She loved to play the piano as much as Charlotte and wanted to accompany her on another song from one of the score sheets. Aurore jumped onto the bench and sat down looking at the keys in front of her. After choosing a song from the score, Charlotte placed her fingers on the keys while Aurore placed her soft paws on them. They began to play another tune.

As soon as the last key was pressed finishing the melody, a knock interrupted. Her feet hurried towards the door and opened it, only to see Ms. Anne and another maid carrying a tray of delicious pastries and a decorated teapot with a cup. Once they were gone, she sat down near the small table and took a pastry from the tray, savoring the warm sweet bread that melted in her mouth. She took a few more bites and carefully poured the tea into her cup. Her small troubles were hidden, at least for now.

The clock continued to tick gently. Noon was almost over, and evening was yet to come. Putting the cup gently near the tray, she got up and sat on her bed once more. The cats jumped on, curling up next to her as she began to lay comfortably, her head and body leaned against her soft cushioned pillows. A yawn came out from her while her fingers rubbed her eyes. Her mind slowly wandered into slumber. Hours later, her soft lashes began to flutter.

Seeing the clock from afar, it was barely evening. She had woken up in time to get herself ready for the evening meal and couldn't wait to see her father and her mother. Upon getting up, her cats began to purr upon waking up. Quickly and carefully, she descended from the stairs, and the smell filled her nostrils of delicious food that was about to be served soon. 

Hearing a small chatter coming from the entrance, she heard a familiar voice. She took off from the staircase, rushing to see the known person. "Papa! You're back!", she smiled as her arms wrapped him. Her father somewhat lifted her as they continued the firm snug embrace.

"Yes, I'm home my dear", he chuckled, carefully putting her down. His eyes scanned the area, looking for someone. "Dear, where is your mother?", he inquired in a gentle voice. "She was with Mrs. Brooke earlier. I was in my room practicing the piano", she replied. "She's in her room preparing herself for dinner", said a maid, answering his question. Sighing in relief, he smiled. He wanted to see his beloved wife until something interrupted his thoughts.

"Sir, you've received a letter. I was told to give you this urgently. It seems it's an important matter", the butler handed the piece of paper to Mr. Wellington. "Alright, I'll handle this matter right away. You may go", he dismissed him as he tucked the paper inside his pocket. "Charlotte dear, why don't you go and help your mother, okay?", he gave her a small smile. "Alright, papa.
Come everyone, let's help Mother!", she called out to her cats.

Instantly they followed her down the hall. A chuckle and a smile were plastered on his face as he saw her walk off with her furry friends. Taking his leave, Mr. Wellington headed towards the library and sat down at his study; the crackle of the kindled fire gave some comfort. As his hand reached for the letter, he carefully opened it revealing beautiful cursive writing. His brows suddenly furrowed when he finished reading. 

"Strange, why would the mayor be having an urgent meeting...", he thought.