Chapter 4 | The Cartel

tw: violence, lots of swearing

🪰🪰🕸️🕸️🪰🪰

Tajin's face pulled into a deep frown. He pulled the gun out of his pocket and jumped from the couch. Leeroy did the same, only he walked over to the TV. He pushed the power button and waited a second for the screen to turn on—it was playing some commercial to hire imp assassins—then turned the TV off again before the noise could pull any unwanted attention their way.

Tajin's breath was loud and quivering once more, and he slowly made his way towards the broken door to lean out. Leeroy tucked his head behind a broken window and used his extra-large peripherals to gauge the problem.

Oh, dear.

A scruffier, dirtier looking rat stood in front of a small gang of various sinners, most of which were taller than he was but followed him, nonetheless. The leader wore a gold-lined suit, and his eyes were bright red with yellow pupils. He snarled and revealed a gold tooth holding on to a cigar.

"Take whatever valuables you can find, then beat it! We're gonna bulldoze this piece-of-shit poverty corner and build a new factory! Do all you bastards understand?" He snarled again, turning to look at his gang of idiots.

"Yes, Jefe!" they shouted in unison, whipping out guns, knives, and bags. They broke up and ran through the streets to collect whatever they could from the wreckage.

The leader took a big, strong huff from his cigar and puffed it out, the smoke forming a skull shape in the air before disappearing. "By the way, if any of you jag-offs find my piece of shit son, Tajin, make sure you bring him to me, alive. I've got some family matters to discuss with him." He took another puff before letting out a violent cough.

Leeroy removed his head from the window. Tajin stood with his back against the wall near the door, his chest visibly rising and falling with fear. Leeroy gave an encouraging smile and a thumbs-up with all four hands, though his wings twitched, and the exhaustion of the day was settling under his eyes.

Before long, a shark-themed sinner ran his way up to their hiding spot. Tajin pulled the gun out and fired a split second too early. The bullet nicked the guy in the nose, blowing out a decent chunk of flesh (it was certainly a statement-type look). The shark groaned and held his face, firing his own gun at will with even worse aim.

"Oh, you greasy mother FUCKER!" he groaned. "Harry, Liam, get your asses in here, I found a couple of bums!" He pinched the bridge of his nose and waited for the others to arrive.

A tiger, supposedly the one named Harry, wrapped an arm around the shark. "Yo, Tooth, are you okay?" Harry looked around and caught an eyeful of Tajin just in time to dodge another bullet shot by the mouse. "Well, well, if it isn't the boss's little brat. Jefe, get in here, I found Tajin!"

Tajin clicked the gun to release another bullet into the chamber and pointed again at Harry, but Harry pulled out a much bigger gun and pointed it at Tajin. "I wouldn't do that if I were you." He picked up Tooth, the shark, and dragged him over to the couch, laying him down on the cushions before moving his gunpoint towards Leeroy.

Leeroy had just been watching with a stupid grin on his face.

"And what the hell do you think you're doing?" Harry demanded, cocking the gun so it was aimed closer to Leeroy's head. "I'll give you three God-damned seconds to get the fuck out before I blow that stupid-ass grin off your ugly-ass face."

"You guys are so vulgar, hehe, it's so exciting~" Leeroy sang, slowly sticking his top two hands in the air. The other two he hid behind his back.

"I said get the fuck out," Harry reprimanded, locking his finger on the trigger. Just then, the rest of the gang must've heard the commotion, and all decided to pile on into the pathetic little apartment complex. Tajin fired another shot, the bullet hitting Harry in both hands and making him drop the big gun. "GAH--YOU LITTLE BRAT, I'LL KILL YOU!"

Harry turned to charge Tajin, but the boss stood between the two. Tajin readied another shot to put a bullet inside his old man's brain, but one—another dirtied-looking mouse—took the gun from Tajin's hand and knocked him out in one swift movement.

"Pick him up. We'll deal with him later. Now, we've got a little bug to squash," Tajin's father said, glaring intensely at Leeroy. Every gun in the room pointed directly at Leeroy.

"So violent..." Leeroy whispered under his breath, another stupid grin plastered onto his face. "It would be better, for everyone, if we all calmed down and watched a little TV...." He pulled the remote from behind his back and turned on the square television.

Vox's television face was everywhere. His charismatic smile radiated through the screen as he repeated the same ad for VoxTube as he had before. His eye radiated with the same mine-controlling powers that Leeroy had been used at the technology store. All the weaker-willed goons, which was about half of them, dropped their weapons and stared at the screen, their mouths ajar and saliva slowly dripping down their shirts.

"What the hell is this garbage?!" demanded the big boss himself, covering his eyes. "Get that television malparido out of here!"

Leeroy shrugged. In one swift movement, he picked up the gun that Harry had dropped and started firing at all the goons that hadn't fallen for his perfect trap. He shot down 3 before the others broke out of their trance. Bullets flew, both from and aimed towards Leeroy, but he flew up and sideways and all around. A lucky shot blasted his knee, but it wasn't long before Leeroy had shot down every single goon except for the boss and the henchmen holding Tajin.

"Useless idiots! Que te folle un pez, maldito culero!" The boss pulled out his own handgun and shot at Leeroy, hitting him square in the shoulder. This was just like the time Leeroy got arrested.

"I really didn't want to kill a kid's father right in front of him," Leeroy groaned, dropping the gun and flying closer to the boss. He wrestled the gun from his hand and threw it across the room. The henchman, not wanting to be completely useless, laid Tajin on the ground and charged Leeroy, tackling him to the ground.

"And you aren't going to kill me," the boss said, spitting on Leeroy's face. "Just finish the job already, we've been set back way too far by such an insignificant little bug." He turned and started walking away. The henchman sat up straighter and held a gun to Leeroy's face, but his hand went limp when Leeroy picked up a piece of shattered glass from off the ground and carved a hole into his side.

He dug the glass deeper, stabbing the henchman in the chest and finally throwing him off his body.

Tajin's eyes flickered open. "What's..."

The boss pulled out his gun again to shoot Leeroy in his stupid face, but Leeroy jumped the gun, grabbing one of the dead goon's weapons and blasting off the boss's head like it was a water ballon.

Leeroy finally went limp and laid in the puddle of blood that he had caused and just breathed. Never in his life had he thought that listening to his inmates would ever become useful.

"Are you okay, Tajin?" Leeroy finally breathed out, closing his eyes and merely waiting for an answer.

"Yeah..." Tajin weakly responded, standing up and holding his head. He looked at the fresh carnage that covered the room wall to wall. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Sorry about your old man," the fly apologized.

"Why would you do that?" Tajin asked, looking at the dead body of his father.

"He was going to shoot me first-"

"No, I mean, you could've run away, or left, or even sold me out to them! ... They even gave you a chance to, but you decided to... do that, instead," Tajin recounted.

Leeroy rubbed his head and held onto his shoulder. He reached for the TV remote and turned it off.

"I'm going to take a nap—we can work on cleaning this mess up later."