Chapter 8 | Tick Returns

Using a mouse as a weighted blanket wasn't exactly how Leeroy thought he would wake up. Sometime during the night, Tajin had moved around and laid himself on top of Leeroy. He was still sleeping soundly, so it took every ounce of willpower that the fly had to carefully pull Tajin off and lay him back down on his side of the bed. He pulled the blanket back over the mouse and lightly patted it down before swinging out of bed and stretching.

The dull light coming from outside and the thumping of club music from down the street suggested that it was only 3:30 am. Leeroy never was one that needed a whole lot of sleep, anyway. He got onto his laptop, lowered the brightness to not disturb Tajin, and got to work programming little games for Voxito to play with its users, sneaking in access codes to their cameras, locations, and files.

To add in some old-timey flare to the mix, Leeroy wrote a simple code into Voxito that would allow it to send copies of itself through text messages and emails. Who would suspect such a cute little helper was out to get your information?

After the base code was finished, Leeroy stood up and shook stress from his arms. Dawn poured in through the windows, and Tajin rolled over in his sleep. The fly looked out of the window and spotted a familiar silhouette trying to hide from his sight.

Time to go for a walk. Leeroy closed the laptop and made his way outside. He turned the corner and strolled behind the house, spotting the not-at-all-hidden body of Tick. She laid underneath a pile of garbage, though her electric blue and green scales completely gave her away. Without much warning at all, Leeroy laughed with softness in his voice.

"What, do you think I'm pretty?" Leeroy asked, startling Tick. She gained her balance and looked at Leeroy, dots of blush covering her cheeks.

Sucking in a load of air, she replied, "Pssh, you? Pretty? If you're pretty, then I'm drop-dead-gorgeous." She ran her fingers through the four inches of hair she had to emphasize her point. Leeroy laughed.

"Alright then, why have you been following me since I got here?" Stopping himself, Leeroy peered into the window and looked at Tajín sleeping soundly on the bed. "Do you think Tajín is cute?"

"As if I'd ever stoop down so low," Tick remarked, throwing her winged arms on her hips. She thought for a moment before peeking into the window to catch another glimpse of the mouse. "Maybe," she whispered, her voice so quiet that Leeroy could barely hear her.

Smiling and running his hand through his hair, he had an idea. Leeroy grabbed onto Tick's chin to make her look at him. Tick's wrinkled face flushed an intense shade of red, and Leeroy's suspicions were confirmed. Stalking people that you fancied was no stranger to Leeroy, in fact, he had practiced it so much that he nearly became an expert.

Perhaps he could use this.

Leeroy let his hand linger longer on her chin before pulling his face closer to hers. Softening his voice, he said, "You can tell me. I won't bite." He flashed a toothy smile, showcasing his sharpened teeth. Tick's heartbeat went up so fast that Leeroy could feel it thumping through her chin. He finally let go.

"St-stalking someone who's nearly half my age...? Ahaha, don't be such a kidder," Tick stammered, nudging Leeroy in the shoulder. "It's not like I've been eavesdropping on all your conversations and watching your every move, that'd be weird."

"You wanna be with me so bad that it makes you look stupid," Leeroy said, laughing softly. He couldn't say that he didn't understand, though. Infatuation completely clouded your function if you let it.

Tick stared, breathing heavy. She turned around and placed her hands over her cheeks as if they could erase the blush that dominated her face. Leeroy waited for her to collect herself.