ZERO

I HELD ON to Charizard with an iron grip, my fingers digging into its scaly skin. The adrenaline that coursed through my veins made my heart beat so fast that I felt like it could burst out of my chest.

As we soared high above the earth, I couldn't help but marvel at the breathtaking view below us. The wind rushed past us, roaring in my ears and whipping my hair around my face. Despite the exhilaration, I was also filled with a sense of fear, worrying that at any moment I might fall from the sky.

"Come on, [name], loosen up! You aren't going to fall!" The rider of the Charizard yelled through the sharp wind.

"Easy for you to say!" I yelled back, wishing for it to end already, "You're not the one being held by its arms!"

He chuckled, "Come on! This isn't your first rodeo!"

I groaned, imagining his smirking face, "This isn't even a rodeo!"

"With me it is—"

My cheeks bloomed, "FRIEDE!"

"Just hold on a bit longer," Friede reassured me, his voice cutting through the wind, "I see something up ahead."

I strained to see past the rushing air, wondering what Friede had spotted, but the wind kept getting into my eyes.

Charizard slowed down, making me believe that we were going to land, but then dove in for a sharp dive right to the ground. I let out a yelp.

"Get ready to land, [name]!" Friede called out. Despite my fear, I collected myself to do so. As Charizard landed, he yelled out: "Found you!"

When I felt the ground under me, I got out of its arms as Friede jumped off of its back.

In front of us was a young man in a suit with split black and white hair and a noticeable beauty mark on his face. But he wasn't our target.

"Who are you?" The mystery man called out. He seemed familiar, I just can't put my finger on it...

"I could ask the same question," Friede said, pulling his goggles up, "We have business with that girl. [name]?"

I nodded my head, "Right!"

"As do we!" The mystery man said.

Ignoring the two boys as they started a Pokemon Battle, I turned around to face the young girl named Liko, who we were looking for, and her Sprigatito in front of her, both seemed confused and scared.

As I approached the young girl, her confusion and fear were palpable. She eyed me warily and Sprigatito hissed, uncertain of who we were and what we wanted.

The battle behind us caused the building to shake when two moves collided with each other. I balanced myself as I walked closer to her.

"Jeez, how'd she get on the roof," I muttered but shook my head, "Hey there, hun," I began, trying to sound as reassuring as possible, "We're not here to harm you. We've been sent to find you."

Liko's blue eyes widened with surprise, but she remained cautious. "Why? Who sent you?"

"We'll explain later, but first," I motioned towards the battle behind us, and then noticed a man climbing up from behind her, "We need to get you to safety," I grasped her wrist and pulled her towards a ladder on the building, "Hurry! Go up!"

As the girl looked on in confusion, I motioned for her to climb up the ladder to safety. Without hesitation, she complied, though uncertainty lingered in her eyes. As she ascended with her Pokemon following quickly after, I turned to confront the man who stood in our way.

With a swift and decisive movement, I delivered a powerful kick to his face, ensuring he wouldn't pose a threat to us any longer. Ignoring his startled cries, I quickly followed after the girl, determined to ensure her safety above all else.

Together, we ascended to the safety of the higher ground, leaving behind the chaos below. All that mattered was keeping her safe from harm.

As I reached the top, a surge of panic gripped me when I saw the girl poised as if to leap off the edge with Spirgatito. Without a moment's hesitation, I lunged forward, extending my arm in a desperate attempt to stop her.

"Wait!" I called out, my voice tinged with urgency and concern. "Don't do it!"

But then she jumped just as a Psycho Cut was making its way towards her. I felt my heart drop down to my stomach as I tried to reach out for her. "NO!"

Just as the move was about to reach her, a green glow emitted from her. The glow turned too bright for my eyes to bear, so I used my hand to shield my eyes. When I felt it go away, I opened them.

And then there was a green barrier around Liko and her partner right before my eyes.

I gasped in awe as the barrier protected her from the move. "What in the world..."

But then the barrier disappeared and turned into a gem. Without the barrier's support, she fell straight down.

I was about to call out my Pokemon from its Pokeball but didn't when I saw Friede jump onto his Charizard and dive right in between the two buildings to get her. Charizard caught her and Sprigatito in its arms, flying back up to the roof to get me.

Charizard floated right in front of the roof of where I stood, and I got onto its back, right behind Friede.

"Huh?! Charizard?!" The young girl exclaimed from being held bridal style in its arms, holding her own Pokemon.

"Hey, you two, try not to be so reckless," Friede scolded the two as he secured me from behind. "Though, I kinda admit," He moved his goggles so he could see better, "I like your courage,"

"Alright, let's get going, now," I told him, patting his chest as I wrapped my arms around his torso.

Friede chuckled as the clock struck midnight. Before we left, he turned to look at the guy he was battling, "Sorry, pal," He said, pulling down his goggles, "We'll battle some other time. Charizard?"

The dragon-like Pokemon roared at the opponent before flying off.