Chapter 15

Ashley

I feel relieved when lunch is over the next day and I won't need to meet Mr. Bleckbourne until Saturday morning for breakfast. Lunch was extremely tense with Ed barely eating and Mr. Bleckbourne giving him slightly irritated glances as if he was a bother.

After school me and Ed visit the shops in town to find him a jacket for the rainy and windy fall weather and a pair of shoes as well. He finds a couple of t-shirts and two pairs of cargo pants that we buy as well. When we drop into the diner he is practically bouncing out of happiness and excitement.

"Hey there, kid! You look happy today!" Eric slaps Ed on the back and the grin he receives in return has me biting my lip and blinking my eyes to keep tears from filling them.

"I got a new jacket, new shoes and some really cool t-shirts. Do you want to see?" Ed bounces on the spot, eager to show his new things.

"Of course, buddy! You go to your spot and unpack and I'll come over with a milkshake. Strawberry again?" Ed nods and runs off to our usual table. My eyes follow him to make sure he finds his way, as if I'm a mother hen. It's amazing how much he has changed in these few days since I met him.

"Hey there, pretty girl. You're looking gorgeous as always." He leans in close to me, almost as if he wants to give me a kiss on my cheek or something. I blush at his choice of words and close proximity.

"Hey." I breathe out.

Smooth Ashley! Real smooth!

Eric chuckles and places his hand on the small of my back to lead me over to my seat. When I am sitting down he leans in close again with one hand on the back of the couch and the other on the table.

"I'll be right back with your coke and doughnut a'la Eric." With a wink he turns away towards the counter. I stare after him in a daze.

Oh my, he's good at this!

And it's true. Eric is a pro at flirting and his genuine interest in everything Ed says and does has me swooning even harder. When it's time for dinner I am reluctant to leave until I remember that Mr. Bleckbourne won't be there.

"How long do you work tonight?" I ask Eric while Ed is in the bathroom.

"Until nine. I'm closing up."

"Me and Ed are going back to the pack house to eat dinner and then I'm gonna follow him home. I was thinking if I can come here and do some studying after that?" Eric's eyes light up and the grin on his face is answer enough.

"You're more than welcome to hog a table here all night long if you want." I giggle, like a swooning school girl. What is it with the men in this town making me recede to the age of fifteen again?!

"Then I'll see you later."

"Yeah. I'll be right here waiting."

It feels like the dinner can't be over fast enough and then I make Ed wait while I rush up to collect my school work. The walk home to Ed is much less tense than when Mr. Bleckbourne walks with us and we joke around the whole way. But when we reach his house he wants to say a quick goodbye by the curb.

"Maybe I can say hello to your stepfather?" Ed shakes his head furiously and pushes me back so I'm not standing in their yard.

"No. He's tired. I need to go now to help with Samson." He runs from me to the door and hurries inside before I have a chance of changing his mind.

From what I have managed to extract from Ed, Samson is Ed's little brother and he is two years old. I know that he spends his days in daycare while Giles is working in an office. Ed is very secretive with his home conditions, which I have learned from school is something children learn to be when they have abusive or neglectful parents.