Alone

Copyright © Candye Jordan 2023

Find the Forgotten: The Mystery of Morrigan Halloway

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Cover design by Candye Jordan. Vector images by Vecteezy.

Published by Midnight Sky Press

For permission requests, contact the author at: j.candye7@gmail.com

Visit jcandye7.wixsite.com/candyewrites

Paperback (Amazon) ISBN: 9798870533643

Paperback (Draft2Digital) ISBN: 9798224313402

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

First Edition October 2023

***

Authors Note:

Don't forget to check out the autumn ambience playlist I created for this book including page turns, howling wind, ghostly whispers, pencil sounds and more: youtu.be/rqn8qAPPaXQ

There's also a Spotify playlist I created for the book if you'd like more instrumental music for your reading experience. It's a mix of haunting and cozy: shorturl.at/mosR4

***

"Crickets chirped tales of long-lost discoveries, forgotten moments as vast as the stars. In the stillness of midnight, I wondered if the moon remembered, or if even the cosmos itself could forget."

The sun poured in on my face as I turned the last page of my Detective Penny book. I took a deep breath and sighed. Another great mystery. Some things, some people, once forgotten, could never be remembered.

I had to talk to someone about this. I set the book on the pale wood dresser beside my bed and stretched. The plants that circled my room seemed to stretch with me as they reached toward the sun. I cupped a pothos leaf and smiled, then it faded. Even these wouldn't last forever.

I stepped downstairs, lightly running my hand across the smooth chestnut banister.

"Mom," I called out.

"Hm?" Mom leaned around the wall separating the living room. She was sitting on the couch with her legs curled up beside her, and she pulled away from her book. She always read those adult mystery thrillers. I wasn't allowed to read them.

"Mom, I just finished the Penny book where she goes to the observatory."

"Oh, nice," Mom smiled. "Did she solve the mystery again?"

I chuckled, "Of course, she always does. But it was...kinda creepy. The way things can be forgotten."

Mom's brows pulled together. "Like car keys?"

I laughed, "No! Like..." my lips tightened, "like discoveries and people." I mumbled.

"Oof, that is creepy."

"It's almost like it doesn't even matter what we do because it could all be erased someday."

"Oh, that's not true." She cocked her head and her wavy, brown hair clumped on her shoulder. "It all makes a difference, even if we don't realize it. There's...ripple effects, ya know?"