A Phone Call

"So, she said no?" Mom asked as she took another bite of bean chili mac.

"No, she doesn't know if she can," I adjusted in my seat at the bar counter and picked at my plate. The warm autumn sunset shone golds and reds on the linoleum floor.

"Well, there's still hope, then."

I nodded and took a bite. The cheese was so creamy, and the beans were soft. Between bites, I traced the faint scratches in the counter.

"Honey, you're not gonna mope around all day, are you?"

My mouth felt dry. "It's not just that."

Mom quirked an eyebrow, waiting.

I took a deep breath and told her about how I went looking for the books for Mrs. Willows and what the boys said.

Mom was speechless at first, then she set her spoon in the bowl. "Come here." The stool screeched across the floor as Mom stood and walked around the counter. She squeezed me close and said, "Don't ever change who you are for them, okay? If you like doing these things, the right people will find you. People who like the same things. I know it doesn't seem that way, but it will happen. I'm so sorry that happened to you. People can be so mean, especially kids, since they don't seem to have a filter."

I cried in her arms while she held me until it was all cried out. What if she was wrong, or what if they never found me?

I finally pulled away to wipe my eyes and blow my nose. Mom's eyes were red, too.

We sat back in our seats and tried to have a normal conversation before bed.

***

Snuggled up in my bed finishing homework, I thought I heard Mom talking. She must have been on the phone. I worked until I heard my name. Then it seemed I turned on my ears.

"I'm just so worried about her. She's been moping around watching the other kids play out the window and I just wish she had some friends to play with...She's trying to get a little book club going at school, but the librarian doesn't think it's gonna happen..." she scoffed. "I don't know. They don't really care about stuff like that. You know how it is. They can't make money off it, so they're not gonna bother."

I didn't know if that was true or if Mom was just mad right now. She must have been talking to Uncle Cliff.

"If she doesn't make friends soon, I might have to get her into some kind of after school activity."

My stomach churned, and my palms sweat.

"She's bound to make friends if she's around more people. I just hate to take away her reading time. But if she finds friends who also like to read her books, then it's a win-win."

I could not go around selling cookies or something. A shiver ran up my spine. Talking to people wasn't really my favorite thing. Especially not selling to people. I felt like I had to do something now, but I couldn't let her know I was listening.

I could pretend everything was okay. I would read and be happy like she was. How'd she do it, anyway? She loved being alone. Tomorrow I would be like her. I had to.

***

When I woke up Saturday morning, Mom was already dressed and ready to go. She said we were taking a girls' day out to the mall, but I knew it was because she felt bad about me being lonely.

We walked around some clothes stores and grabbed lunch in the food court. Mom didn't even look at me when she brought up the idea of after-school activities. I told her I was probably just having a bad day, but she didn't buy it.